Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 3, 2010, 08:40 PM
Rookie

Default 550vx Corsair Buzzing/Chirping (only plugged in)

Just got in the new power supply after my 400cx failed and I immediately put my ear to the PSU once I plugged it in. Surely enough it was making small sounds

something like chu chu chirp. I wouldn't hear it if I didnt try to listen so I am wondering if this is in anyway normal. Have any of you heard anything from your PSU from just plugging it in (with its power switch off)

Btw it works. I have powered on the system but I have no GPU as yet to see post and BIOS voltages but after making the "no GPU" beeps a final beep is heard which I think signifies that the system is posting. I'd like to know if its ok to continue using the PSU, and if not what other hobby may I pick up besides PCs because I'd be done with this crap!
Old January 5, 2010, 09:44 AM
Rookie

Smile

Sounds like you may have an assortment of issues here. One thing I would recommend doing is replacing the PSU due to the sound and other issues you are having.

I have had incredible luck with Antec PSU's over the last ten years and would highly recommend you have a look at their products. For around the same price, you can get a nice TP-550 from NCIX - http://ncix.com/products/?sku=36262&...ufacture=Antec

I'm sure that will fix any issues you are having involving your PSU. Let me know how it goes and if that fixes the issues. Best of luck!

Old January 5, 2010, 04:19 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I'll echo the responses you got at another forum by saying that your PSU is most likely fine. I've heard of issues similar to yours and they were never accompanied with any real issues.