Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

View Poll Results: Sleeve the psu or buy extensions to sleeve?
Sleeve the psu directly 4 36.36%
Buy adapters and sleeve those 7 63.64%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 3, 2010, 01:11 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Default Poor man's mod: buy an extension to murdermod or sleeve the psu?

Hi guys, I was wondering if I should murdermod my tx750 directly, or buy extensions like these to murdermod:
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=15961&...facture=Others
NCIX.com - Buy nGear 4 Pin P4 Power to 8 Pin Epc Power Adapter Cable - NG-4P4M-8PEF In Canada.
NCIX.com - Buy Works 8 Pin Eps to 6+2 Pin PCI-E Power Adapter 8IN Cable Sleeved - CB-E8-P68F In Canada.
I'm not planning on upgradng anytime soon, but just in case it dies on me... but then again (I could be wrong), extensions aren't that great in a pc case

Let me know which path you guys recommend (keeping in mind I'm doing a poorman's mod with sleeving from fleabay and shrinkwrap from dealxtreme, and I've got a tx750 here), which one you guys did, and why. Thanks
Old January 3, 2010, 01:39 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

If it is your first time sleeving, I suggest buying extensions and getting a feel for things - you don't want to break/damage your power supply.

I started off by buying some extensions, sleeving, and heat shrink off eBay. The extensions were poorly made but it turned out to be awesome because the pins came out really easily. A buddy of mine bought those n-gear ones from NCIX and ended up breaking a bunch of pins because they wouldn't come out of their hole (using both the staple technique and the sunbeam tool).

I bought this sleeving, and my buddy tired this and they both look great.

I just put in an order for 200 feet of neon green - comes to ~$30 after shipping to sleeve another power supply.

Anyway, good luck
Old January 3, 2010, 01:56 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattu View Post
If it is your first time sleeving, I suggest buying extensions and getting a feel for things - you don't want to break/damage your power supply.

I bought this sleeving
Ha! same one I ordered last night! :high5: (if there were such a smiley)
No worries about me screwing up, I'm gonna try it on my mom's computer first. How's the carbon colour though?
Old January 3, 2010, 02:13 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Here is my computer after sleeving the extensions. I have a white LED strip in there

You can see through it but I like the effect
Attached Images

Old January 3, 2010, 02:21 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the picture hmm I'll keep that in mind, gotta paint the wires and leave a tad bit coloured at the end for identification. I was gonna get a 932 too, and then the 922 came up during the refresh sale so I got that one, to save 40 bucks and I heard the 922 does better than 932 for air

Now I'm just gonna wait for that guy's sleeving and dealxtreme's shrink to arrive.. would this be worth making a worklog for? and sry thread was in wrong section

and one more question, should I interweave the wires? I've looked at a few pics and I've seen some of them weaving over each other, possibly to keep them together?
Old January 3, 2010, 02:30 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I actually have the ATCS 840

How are you going to paint the wires? They only good way i could think of is vinyl dye, although i've never tried it myself.

As for the worklog - thats up to you, there are a few on the internets but none on this site.
Old January 3, 2010, 02:36 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
and one more question, should I interweave the wires? I've looked at a few pics and I've seen some of them weaving over each other, possibly to keep them together?
I wouldn't interweave them, i think it looks lame (unless you are making a rastafarian computer, then that would be awesome). If you like the look go for it, but i prefer them in a straight line.
Old January 3, 2010, 02:43 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I actually have the ATCS 840

uhh... I was just testing you guys...

Quote:
How are you going to paint the wires? They only good way i could think of is vinyl dye, although i've never tried it myself.
oh I remember that stuff from art class 2 years ago! maybe I could go back and scavenge some of that stuff...

So here's my shopping cart: 800 grit sandpaper, black vinyl, black spray paint, primer... missing anything? Better chances at canadiantire or homedepot?
Old January 3, 2010, 03:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
So here's my shopping cart: 800 grit sandpaper, black vinyl, black spray paint, primer... missing anything? Better chances at canadiantire or homedepot?
Canadian Tire in the car section.

And they have some Duplicolor Vinyl Dye which works very well on SATA cables (dyed my red ones black rather than buying new ones). Also dyed the god awful Noctua fans black. That didn't work as well since it scratched off around the screw holes after using them. I imagine it would be fine for the PSU cables too.
Old January 3, 2010, 03:55 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Canadian Tire in the car section.

And they have some Duplicolor Vinyl Dye which works very well on SATA cables (dyed my red ones black rather than buying new ones). Also dyed the god awful Noctua fans black. That didn't work as well since it scratched off around the screw holes after using them. I imagine it would be fine for the PSU cables too.
Ok, so canadian tire it is

Just wondering, does vinyl conduct electricity just as well as rubber/plastic?