Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Power Supplies (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/)
-   -   OCZ Z-Series - Review Request? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/26785-ocz-z-series-review-request.html)

JD December 18, 2009 08:47 AM

OCZ Z-Series - Review Request?

I don't know where to really ask, but could HWC do a review on the OCZ Z-Series PSUs? Namely the lower end models of 550W or 650W.

They seem relatively cheap for a 80+ Silver PSU, so I'm curious of the quality of the components in it and if the efficiency actually holds up in real-life.

Seems all the reviews I find don't really test the PSU or open it up. They just plug it in, use the motherboard voltage readouts and are like "Yeah this is a great PSU". :blarg:

ayah December 18, 2009 12:43 PM

Obviously software never lies. /endsarcasm
Yeah, I really do wish some reviewers would get their act together.

Zero82z December 18, 2009 01:22 PM

Cheap group-regulated FSP design. They are efficient, but you'd be better off with a higher-quality unit from Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, etc.

ayah December 18, 2009 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero82z (Post 304275)
Cheap group-regulated FSP design. They are efficient, but you'd be better off with a higher-quality unit from Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, etc.

Damn. I was hoping someone came out with a good cheap modular PSU too.

SKYMTL December 18, 2009 02:38 PM

The next PSU review will be posted next week. 9 way 850W PSU roundup

Zero82z December 18, 2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayah (Post 304304)
Damn. I was hoping someone came out with a good cheap modular PSU too.

Well, you get what you pay for. There's a reason that better-quality PSUs are more expensive. No way to get around that, unfortunately. With that said, apparently FSP has fixed up the Epsilon platform a bit, since Coolermaster's recent 850W and 1000W Silent Pro PSUs which are based on it don't share the same ripple issues as older units did, so there's a chance that these OCZ units are fairly decent. However, even if that was the case they would still not compare very favourably against units from the brands I mentioned earlier.

Soultribunal December 19, 2009 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero82z (Post 304337)
Well, you get what you pay for. There's a reason that better-quality PSUs are more expensive. No way to get around that, unfortunately. With that said, apparently FSP has fixed up the Epsilon platform a bit, since Coolermaster's recent 850W and 1000W Silent Pro PSUs which are based on it don't share the same ripple issues as older units did, so there's a chance that these OCZ units are fairly decent. However, even if that was the case they would still not compare very favourably against units from the brands I mentioned earlier.

Yes and No. You are right about this platform the other OCZ's I had (modxtreme etc,...) went through enough RMA's to warrent my replacing them. However my LSP's from Ultra were not as expensive as others out there, they were based on Andy units and have performed above and beyond.
I've got a total of 33 units registered , 1 RMA'd (Fan Failure, damn Adda).

So yes I do agree 98% :)

ST

JD December 19, 2009 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero82z (Post 304275)

I know, but for a fairly low-power PC where I'd more just want something efficient and cheap.

Seems like all the high-efficiency PSUs are high-wattage which isn't what I'm really looking for. A 400W would suffice.

And as much as some hate OCZ, my GameXStream 600W has been running strong and 24/7 in my server. Server is perfectly stable.

Soultribunal December 19, 2009 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdrom17 (Post 304759)
I know, but for a fairly low-power PC where I'd more just want something efficient and cheap.

Seems like all the high-efficiency PSUs are high-wattage which isn't what I'm really looking for. A 400W would suffice.

And as much as some hate OCZ, my GameXStream 600W has been running strong and 24/7 in my server. Server is perfectly stable.

I don't hate OCZ, I just wish that somewhere along the line I would have gotten a better set of PSU's.
For low Power sure, I think you should be safe. Either that or grab an LSP450W :whistle: I've had one running two years solid in my Uncles Computer. Works like a charm.

ST

Zero82z December 19, 2009 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soultribunal (Post 304701)
You are right about this platform the other OCZ's I had (modxtreme etc,...) went through enough RMA's to warrent my replacing them.

The ModXStream line uses different platforms. The 400W model is a CWT DSA and the other ones are made by Sirfa. FSP makes the StealthXStream (except for the 400W model which is also a DSA) and GameXStream lines for OCZ.
Quote:

For such a low-wattage PSU, you don't even need high efficiency. Power losses will be extremely small anyway. But if you want something better, Seasonic upgraded their budget line to 80Plus Bronze, so just grab one of those instead. They're a hell of a lot better than any FSP-built OCZ PSUs, that's for sure.
Quote:

You're pushing what, maybe 100-200W load at most on that machine? (just a guess based on typical home server power consumption) The Epsilon platform used by that OCZ PSU doesn't have major problems until upwards of 500W load. It's fine at lower loads, but my philosophy is why buy a PSU that doesn't perform well at higher loads within its rating when you can instead buy one that does?