Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 20, 2009, 06:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Next time I'm gonna spell it out better. I added the Etc. because I have used almost all of OCZ's lineup in client builds. And 40% have been RMA'd once, 20% of those were on RMA 3 until I gave up and put Corsairs inside. I highly doubt I was using anything more than Half of rated capacity at the most.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 20, 2009, 10:47 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I was just clarifying since we're talking about the Epsilon platform specifically here, and you mentioned a line of PSUs that don't use that platform.
Old December 20, 2009, 11:26 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
You're pushing what, maybe 100-200W load at most on that machine? (just a guess based on typical home server power consumption) The Epsilon platform used by that OCZ PSU doesn't have major problems until upwards of 500W load. It's fine at lower loads, but my philosophy is why buy a PSU that doesn't perform well at higher loads within its rating when you can instead buy one that does?
Actually it might be a bit higher than that right now since I have an old 8800GTS 320M folding 24/7...

But my plans for the new year is to build something rather low-powered. And every watt counts IMO. I'll probably just end up with a 380-400W 80Plus certified PSU though. The Silverstone Element 400W actually pulled off like 89% efficiency on the AnandTech roundup, but I can't seem to find that up here.
Old December 20, 2009, 11:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayah View Post
Obviously software never lies. /endsarcasm
Yeah, I really do wish some reviewers would get their act together.
Not a very polite comment. We should consider ourselves fortunate to have some of the the best unbiased PSU and other hardware reviews out there. They use their time to get this hardware, test it and put together the review. I'm sure they have other things they want/need to do.
We should be grateful instead of saying they should "get their act together"

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old December 20, 2009, 12:01 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo' power View Post
Not a very polite comment. We should consider ourselves fortunate to have some of the the best unbiased PSU and other hardware reviews out there. They use their time to get this hardware, test it and put together the review. I'm sure they have other things they want/need to do.
We should be grateful instead of saying they should "get their act together"
People who don't review PSUs properly do more harm than good. It results in many people buying crappy PSUs that are reviewed well by people without proper testing methodology but that would not stand up to real load testing, and that can cause other problems, like early PSU failure, hardware damage, etc.

So I echo his comments that review sites that do not perform proper reviews should get their act together. I'm of the opinion that if you can't do it right, you shouldn't do it.