Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 3, 2009, 07:23 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Modular PSU advice.

Hey guys. I'm constantly modifying my system and am now considering my first modular PSU and I have a few questions. I'm involved in several hardware oriented forums but this one seems to have the most knowledgable and experienced users so I'm asking here.
I've read some bad things about fluctuations in the rails using a modular, anything to this? certain brands worst then others? are they all like this? or is this just bull, or old news that no longer applies?
Secondly, I'm guessing my system is pretty power hungry...I'll list components at the end so what wattage should I aim for if I do get modular.
Is there anything I should know before making this jump?
Should I avoid this jump at the moment, and if so why?
Thanks in advance, I appreciate any and all comments and info on this. I would hate to damage something from it.

System specs:
Asus M4A79 Deluxe
940BE
4x2gb Mushkin (996587)
Sapphire Radeon 5850
Xfi fatal1ty champion series
1tb black edition HDD
640gb blue HDD
2x LG 22x dvd-rw's
Hauppauge 950q tv tuner
Antec Multimedia station premiere deluxe
USB keyboard/mouse (wave keyboard and a g9 mouse)
There are several USB devices that plugged in and unplugged depending on what I'm doing, like an external HD bay and a logitech gamepad and a G13 gameboard I rarely ever use and a guitar for guitar hero, I generally unplug these things when I'm not using them, but that means at least one is plugged in most of the time.
I do intend to get another 5850 in the future, hopefully sooner then later.
I think thats it

Thanks

Last edited by Canzara; November 3, 2009 at 07:36 AM.
Old November 3, 2009, 07:31 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

For your build I'd suggest the Corsair HX850 (if you're going to Xfire in the future). Extremely efficient and looks good too. And afaik, there is no difference between a modular PSU and a regular one in terms of fluctuation, only the quality of the PSU can affect that.
Old November 3, 2009, 07:36 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

yes btw, I do have full intentions of going CF in the future, hopefully near future :P
I'll ad that piece of info to the post for future replies, thanks for the reminder
Old November 3, 2009, 07:53 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Corsair HX850 or XFX 850. IIRC the corsair is a CWT, the XFX is a Seasonic.
Both are great kit from highly reputable companies.
For what is is worth the Corsair is slightly more efficient, but the XFX is more "unique" looking.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 3, 2009, 08:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I am gonna echo the suggestions of everyone else here in saying the Corsair or XFX would both be good choices.
There is the Antec and Enermax Modular ones as well in the 850W range, but they are multi-railed.

As for power loss or fluctuations, I have yet to hear about any modular vs non-modular causing anything like this whatsoever.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 3, 2009, 08:11 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

There's also the new X-750 from Seasonic that's supposedly one of the most efficient and stable PSUs ever, but I'll wait till Skymtl can review that one
Old November 3, 2009, 08:17 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canzara View Post
I've read some bad things about fluctuations in the rails using a modular, anything to this?
Nothing to worry about.
Quote:
certain brands worst then others? are they all like this?
Yep here you're right but if you aim for a good/very good PSU it really doesn't matter so much. Pick the one you like more.

For your Crossfire setup I'll recommend you Seasonic X-750. Probably the best 750W PSU in the world.
Old November 3, 2009, 08:40 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

WoW I love an active board where you don't have to wait 2 weeks to get decent answers :P

Ok, so most are recommending Corsair. I live in Kingston and we have a Canada Computers here. I NEVER order online and generally buy all my stuff there. I bought my 5850 from the BS forum here and insisited I drive 2 hours to pick it up cause I just don't like doing things online..I like to see my product when I buy it and drive home oogling over the pretty box or whatever LOL so knowing this its easy to find out my choices.
I was looking at this: Canada Computers - Power Supplies > Modular Gaming PSUs : Antec TPQ-850 TruePower Quattro 850W Continuous Power Supply.
but was concerned it would be enough power in CF. Just the price seems awesome for a modular. Is there a reason for that?

Same deal with this one: Canada Computers - Power Supplies > Modular Gaming PSUs : Thermaltake TR2 RX-850 850W Power Supply (W0319RU). another great price for a modular. Is thermaltake considered "not good"? I have a 480 watt in my sons computer that I've had for years and its been awesome.
I haven't decided on anything yet, I just want to do my homework and be happy with my purchase. I don't know much about PSU's and risks associated with bad ones. I used that 480 watt mentioned above for years and just recently switched to 1000 watt OCZ, but I don't like it cause of the crappy 80mm fan that can make it sound like a jet after a couple hours of hardcore usage.
Old November 3, 2009, 09:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
WoW I love an active board where you don't have to wait 2 weeks to get decent answers :P

Ok, so most are recommending Corsair. I live in Kingston and we have a Canada Computers here. I NEVER order online and generally buy all my stuff there. I bought my 5850 from the BS forum here and insisited I drive 2 hours to pick it up cause I just don't like doing things online..I like to see my product when I buy it and drive home oogling over the pretty box or whatever LOL so knowing this its easy to find out my choices.
I was looking at this: Canada Computers - Power Supplies > Modular Gaming PSUs : Antec TPQ-850 TruePower Quattro 850W Continuous Power Supply.
but was concerned it would be enough power in CF. Just the price seems awesome for a modular. Is there a reason for that?

Same deal with this one: Canada Computers - Power Supplies > Modular Gaming PSUs : Thermaltake TR2 RX-850 850W Power Supply (W0319RU). another great price for a modular. Is thermaltake considered "not good"? I have a 480 watt in my sons computer that I've had for years and its been awesome.
I haven't decided on anything yet, I just want to do my homework and be happy with my purchase. I don't know much about PSU's and risks associated with bad ones. I used that 480 watt mentioned above for years and just recently switched to 1000 watt OCZ, but I don't like it cause of the crappy 80mm fan that can make it sound like a jet after a couple hours of hardcore usage.
I have no problem with Thermaltake's Higher end stuff, they generally use Enhance as an OEM for their PSU's and ENhance is very good quality stuff generally speaking.
Antec I suggested too, although I have never had experience with the Quattro.

Either of those choices there would be fine. Again Corsair too if you wanted.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 3, 2009, 09:57 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Im not a fond lover of mulit-rails (prefer one big fat one) thus I personally wouldn't pick either....BUT jonny guru did a review on the antec and liked it so its a decent choice...for a multi rail PSU ;)

Antec TruePower Quattro (TPQ-850) 850W Review

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr