Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 3, 2009, 02:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Multi-Rail vrs Single rail:

Basically a single rail unit has only one 12V line which is drawn by all 12V output lines. A multi-rail unit has more than one 12V line which generally would be accessed individually by each output line.

The benefits of single rail vrs multi-rail were originally that a single output line would be able to draw up to the rated max current, while multi-rail units would be limited to the individual line (single rail typically 40A while a multi-rail might be 4 X 12A).

I'm still a diehard single rail fan, but I believe higher-end multi-rail units these days have the ability to automatically switch to single rail operation if one rail tries to draw more than the normal rating.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 3, 2009, 02:53 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Hmmm I must be mixing two OEMs up here. But I could have sworn up and down they used Enhance for something.
Bahhh happens when I got 100% things in my head.

ST
Perhaps you're thinking of Silverstone? They use Enhance for a lot of their PSUs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I believe higher-end multi-rail units these days have the ability to automatically switch to single rail operation if one rail tries to draw more than the normal rating.
No, not really. Some multi-rail PSUs can supply more than their rated current on a rail, but that can be for a number of reasons, including:
-The PSU is really a single-rail unit that is labeled as a multi-rail and doesn't have OCP (like the Corsair HX520/HX620).
-The PSU rails are actually just a split-up single rail with individual OCP limits (most multi-rail PSUs these days are like this).
-The PSU is a true multi-rail unit, but it's OCP is set higher than the actual rated value so you can pull more current from each rail without causing the PSU to shut itself off.
Old November 3, 2009, 02:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Perhaps you're thinking of Silverstone? They use Enhance for a lot of their PSUs.

No, not really. Some multi-rail PSUs can supply more than their rated current on a rail, but that can be for a number of reasons, including:
-The PSU is really a single-rail unit that is labeled as a multi-rail and doesn't have OCP (like the Corsair HX520/HX620).
-The PSU rails are actually just a split-up single rail with individual OCP limits (most multi-rail PSUs these days are like this).
-The PSU is a true multi-rail unit, but it's OCP is set higher than the actual rated value so you can pull more current from each rail without causing the PSU to shut itself off.
Heh.... Hence why I'm still a die-hard single rail fanboi..... ;)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 3, 2009, 03:09 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Nice, thanks for the explanation guys!
I wish I had found this board ages ago..
Old November 3, 2009, 03:16 PM
MVP

Quote:
Hmmm I must be mixing two OEMs up here. But I could have sworn up and down they used Enhance for something.
Bahhh happens when I got 100% things in my head.

ST
The Antec Quattro is an Enhance.
Old November 3, 2009, 03:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah its gotta be one of those two either SS or the Quattro series.
Usually I'm pretty good but sometimes I mix things up a little lol

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 3, 2009, 06:38 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Heh.... Hence why I'm still a die-hard single rail fanboi..... ;)
That's just silly. There is no real advantage to having a single-rail PSU nowadays, and there are some truly excellent multi-rail PSUs out there such as the Seasonic M12/S12 line, the Enermax Revolution85+/Galaxy EVO series, Corsair HX1000/any other CWT PUC, Antec Signature series, etc.
Old November 3, 2009, 07:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
That's just silly. There is no real advantage to having a single-rail PSU nowadays, and there are some truly excellent multi-rail PSUs out there such as the Seasonic M12/S12 line, the Enermax Revolution85+/Galaxy EVO series, Corsair HX1000/any other CWT PUC, Antec Signature series, etc.
Yeah but Multi-Rail is a waste of capacity too in a sense.
Espically if certain parts of your rig are a lot more power Hungry than others.
To be honest, I too would prefer single rail Tech over Multi on the sole basis of the K.I.S.S. theory.
The argument can go both ways really for either, and that is why we have both kinds available.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 3, 2009, 07:33 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Corsair have been putting out PSUs for a while and have great service in my experience. That 850HX (just bought one for myself tonight) also has a 7 year warranty.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 3, 2009, 07:47 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Yeah but Multi-Rail is a waste of capacity too in a sense.
Not if the rails are balanced properly, which is the case for all truly good multi-rail PSUs. Again, these are things that haven't been real issues for years already.

I'm not saying that multiple rails are better than a single rail. What I am saying is that they aren't worse, and that it is a total non-issue in nearly all situations nowadays. A good PSU shouldn't be ignored simply because it is a multi-rail and not a single-rail unit, and unfortunately I've seen that happen too often.