Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 3, 2009, 10:21 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I have no problem with Thermaltake's Higher end stuff, they generally use Enhance as an OEM for their PSU's
Enhance is a good OEM indeed (look at CoolerMaster Silent Pro for example) but TT is CWT for their high-end models (Toughpower). :)
TP Quattro is OK, but IMO you have better options nowadays.
If you want high-end stuff choose between Seasonic X series/M12D, Antec Signature, Enermax Revo85+, Corsair HX 750/850.
XFX 850 and PC P&C "Silencer" 910 are both Seasonic M12-D, Antec Signature is a high-end Delta, Enermax is Enermax, Corsair HX750/850 are a superb new CWT platform and Seasonic X 650/750 is probably the best PSU in the world ATM. Ops I already said that.

Another excellent PSU which doesn't broke your budget is Antec CP-850 but you need one of those three cases: P183, P193 and 1200.
Old November 3, 2009, 10:27 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Only problem with Seasonic X750....is FINDING them. Things are as rare as hens teeth! :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 3, 2009, 10:37 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Things are as rare as hens teeth! :)
Good one!

OK, than choose from others. For that stock Crossfire setup with Phenom II a good 650W is enough, 750 is plenty and 850 is overkill.
With serious OC 750W is enough and 850 is plenty.
Old November 3, 2009, 11:19 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by burebista View Post
Enhance is a good OEM indeed (look at CoolerMaster Silent Pro for example) but TT is CWT for their high-end models (Toughpower). :)
TP Quattro is OK, but IMO you have better options nowadays.
If you want high-end stuff choose between Seasonic X series/M12D, Antec Signature, Enermax Revo85+, Corsair HX 750/850.
XFX 850 and PC P&C "Silencer" 910 are both Seasonic M12-D, Antec Signature is a high-end Delta, Enermax is Enermax, Corsair HX750/850 are a superb new CWT platform and Seasonic X 650/750 is probably the best PSU in the world ATM. Ops I already said that.

Another excellent PSU which doesn't broke your budget is Antec CP-850 but you need one of those three cases: P183, P193 and 1200.
Yeah I know of the CWT ones, I never knew they changed around the Toughpower ones, as far as I remembered they were Enhance for a while. Their EVO_Blue are Enhance.
The Seasonic and Corsair HX platforms are so tightly competitive that its really a matter of Brand Preferance and customer support at that point. In which case I would opt for Corsair.

I'm with AKG on having one big fat 12V Rail. That being said however the best Multi-Railed out there IMO is Enermax. Their units are flawless in regulation and ripple.
Either way, so as to not confuse the OP.

ThermalTake, Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, Antec are all very good choices, and bottom line is they are backed by good warranties and great units. So, either route you go, you are set.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 3, 2009, 12:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by burebista View Post
Good one!

OK, than choose from others. For that stock Crossfire setup with Phenom II a good 650W is enough, 750 is plenty and 850 is overkill.
With serious OC 750W is enough and 850 is plenty.
it is better to have too much than too little, he said that he is constantly upgrading if this is so than that power may be useful sometime later in his computers life and that means that he does not need to buy an all new PSU when he needs it.

I'm sorry july, I couldn't see you behind all that feruary.
Old November 3, 2009, 02:20 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Yeah I know of the CWT ones, I never knew they changed around the Toughpower ones, as far as I remembered they were Enhance for a while. Their EVO_Blue are Enhance.
Thermaltake has never used Enhance as far as I know. EVO Blue is CWT.
Old November 3, 2009, 02:30 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Wow a plethora of input, thanks so much everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Im not a fond lover of mulit-rails (prefer one big fat one)
Could you just clarify what you mean by this? My first thought was multiple molex connectors on one rail, but that doesn't seem right..so I'm not really sure your meaning by this?

Think I'm gonna take the advice and get the Corsair HX 850...I'd rather be sure and other then the impossible to get seasonic is the number one recommendation. This upgrade might still be a few days off, have to sell some stuff first, so please feel free to elaborate here, I enjoy learning from it!
Thanks again everyone.
Old November 3, 2009, 02:45 PM
MVP

Yes I believe that Thermaltake is a Channel Well PSH design. Also Something to keep in mind the antec quattro 850 you were looking at was only about $114 last week at NCIX.
Old November 3, 2009, 02:46 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canzara View Post
Could you just clarify what you mean by this? My first thought was multiple molex connectors on one rail, but that doesn't seem right..so I'm not really sure your meaning by this?
Multiple rails doesn't really have anything to do with the number of molex connectors or number of cables. It has to do with +12V outputs from the PSU being sourced from different components rather than one single source, or in most modern PSUs, it's just that a single +12V source is divided into several smaller rails each with their own OCP (over-current protection; it basically just limits the amount of current that can be drawn from a single rail before the PSU shuts down to prevent damage).

Separate rails used to be a requirement in the ATX power specification, but it's no longer included. Single-rails are a marketing point for a lot of different PSUs and different PSU manufacturers, but the fact is that all modern multi-rail PSUs are already properly balanced for the load that a modern computer will put on them, so the number of rails is not a concern for most likely upwards of 95% of all computer users. The only time you have to worry about it is with a really oddball or old system that has a different load distribution from most PCs, but your computer doesn't fit that description, so as far as you're concerned, any modern quality PSU, single or multi-rail, will be perfectly fine for your computer as long as it has enough capacity overall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoosebum View Post
Yes I believe that Thermaltake is a Channel Well PSH design.
The EVO Blue is, yes.
Old November 3, 2009, 02:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Hmmm I must be mixing two OEMs up here. But I could have sworn up and down they used Enhance for something.
Bahhh happens when I got 100% things in my head.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com