Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 7, 2007, 06:50 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Comment Thread for Mushkin HP-580 Power Supply Review

The review is up and as you can see, I wasn't too impressed with the overall performance of this particular PSU.

Please feel free to leave your questions, comments, rants and raves in this thread.

Here is the review: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/hardw...html#post19059
Old September 7, 2007, 11:45 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Nice review as always. Interesting its more efficient than the silverstone that is double the price.
Old September 7, 2007, 12:37 PM

Yeah but then again it has between 3 and 8 TIMES the amount of ripple and some nasty voltage regulation issues. The efficiency is good but it is barely between 0.7% and 1.5% better than the Decathlon. Considering the margin of error on the UPM power meter is about 2% at 200W+, I would almost say they have pretty much the same efficiency.
Old September 7, 2007, 02:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Good review as usual.

What would you consider a good modular PSU though? Trying to get my dad to buy one as he has an acrylic case and all the PSU wires look ugly right now. Similar setup to mine.
Old September 7, 2007, 02:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Yeah but then again it has between 3 and 8 TIMES the amount of ripple and some nasty voltage regulation issues. The efficiency is good but it is barely between 0.7% and 1.5% better than the Decathlon. Considering the margin of error on the UPM power meter is about 2% at 200W+, I would almost say they have pretty much the same efficiency.
Oddly it was something that didn't honestly surprise me. I don't trust power supplies that have grounding straps and these have them or at least the 550w does and that to me is a sign of something bad already.
Old September 7, 2007, 02:48 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Good review as usual.

What would you consider a good modular PSU though? Trying to get my dad to buy one as he has an acrylic case and all the PSU wires look ugly right now. Similar setup to mine.
Mushkin XP-650 PFC is a great PSU for the $, the review is here: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/hardw...ly-review.html
Old September 7, 2007, 02:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Mushkin XP-650 PFC is a great PSU for the $, the review is here: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/hardw...ly-review.html
Different series ... thats an XP the one checked was a HP tho I have no idea what that really means
Old September 7, 2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Good review as usual.

For a good modular PSU you should take a good look at the Corsair HX series, the Gigabyte Odin Pro series (since the GT has all that software), the Nexus PSUs, the Silverstone Decathlon series or the Strider series. Even the Thermaltake Purepower Rx series is looking good.
Old September 7, 2007, 03:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
For a good modular PSU you should take a good look at the Corsair HX series, the Gigabyte Odin Pro series (since the GT has all that software), the Nexus PSUs, the Silverstone Decathlon series or the Strider series. Even the Thermaltake Purepower Rx series is looking good.
Sort off topic but you know any good sites that reviewd the Antec Quattro 850w aside from JGuru? I have it and like it but find the rear fan a tad noisy and the power supply runs a bit warm.
Old September 10, 2007, 12:04 PM

We will have a review of it shortly...or at least as long as it take my new PSU test system to get here and be fully operational.

Other than that, Olin over at BmR took a look at it here:

Antec TruePower Quattro 850W Modular PSU TPQ-850

Though he probably put it under lighter load than you are right now.