Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 24, 2009, 01:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
The combined maximum output of the PSU is not equal to the sum of the individual rails' combined maximums. And you should never exceed a PSU's rated wattage, since even if it can handle the load, chances are that several of its components are being placed under conditions exceeding their specifications which can and probably will lead to early failure.
They also under-rate the load of each rail, and OFC it doesn't work exactly like that as you're not drawing evenly on every rail. Low end PSU's rating = higher than peak power, mid end = peak power or just under, high end = continuous load, super high end = under continuous load.
Old October 24, 2009, 01:46 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks for all your replies as this has really helped me decide which one to buy.

I decided to go with a corsair hx850 as i found it for the same price as the corsair hx750.

Your help was greatly appreciated.
Old October 24, 2009, 01:53 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
They also under-rate the load of each rail, and OFC it doesn't work exactly like that as you're not drawing evenly on every rail. Low end PSU's rating = higher than peak power, mid end = peak power or just under, high end = continuous load, super high end = under continuous load.
No, that is incorrect. Like I said earlier, running a PSU past its rating, even if it can handle the load, will cause components inside it to operate outside their specifications, which will result in premature failure. If a PSU manufacturer could rate their PSU for a higher power output, then they would, because then they could make more profit, either from selling a more powerful PSU at the same price point as other lower-wattage units which would make them money from sales volume, or by raising the price along with the rating, which would make them money from the price premium they could charge for having a more powerful unit.
Old October 24, 2009, 02:03 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The 750 is on sale for 89.00 after the mail in rebate at NCIX. That sounds like a good price to me.

Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 140MM Fan
$22.00 Mail In Rebate!
FREE Ground Shipping for this item only!

Special: $89.99 CAD After rebate
Old October 24, 2009, 02:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
No, that is incorrect. Like I said earlier, running a PSU past its rating, even if it can handle the load, will cause components inside it to operate outside their specifications, which will result in premature failure. If a PSU manufacturer could rate their PSU for a higher power output, then they would, because then they could make more profit, either from selling a more powerful PSU at the same price point as other lower-wattage units which would make them money from sales volume, or by raising the price along with the rating, which would make them money from the price premium they could charge for having a more powerful unit.
They're a big difference between peak load and continuous load, I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Peak = couple of seconds, a minute at MOST, continuous = 24/7.
Old October 24, 2009, 02:13 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman View Post
The 750 is on sale for 89.00 after the mail in rebate at NCIX. That sounds like a good price to me.

Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 140MM Fan
$22.00 Mail In Rebate!
FREE Ground Shipping for this item only!

Special: $89.99 CAD After rebate
That's the TX750, not the HX750. They are quite different.
Quote:
They're a big difference between peak load and continuous load, I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Peak = couple of seconds, a minute at MOST, continuous = 24/7.
You said this:
Quote:
super high end = under continuous load.
That statement says that high-end PSUs are rated for continuous loads lower than what they are capable of. That is not the case.
Old October 25, 2009, 06:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Most high end power supplies are DEFINITELY rated lower than they can ultimately handle. Read some reputable reviews and you will see this is a well established fact.
Old October 25, 2009, 06:18 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Most high end power supplies are DEFINITELY rated lower than they can ultimately handle. Read some reputable reviews and you will see this is a well established fact.
The real fact is that just because they can handle it, doesn't mean that they are designed to or that they can tolerate it for an extended period of time, which I have already explained more than once:
Quote:
running a PSU past its rating, even if it can handle the load, will cause components inside it to operate outside their specifications, which will result in premature failure.
Old October 25, 2009, 06:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
That statement says that high-end PSUs are rated for continuous loads lower than what they are capable of. That is not the case.
Please don't misquote me, I still stand by the fact that high-end PSU's are rated for lower wattages than they can do. It's what makes them quality. If they sold 750's as 850's it wouldn't be quality anymore, it would be the same as any other PSU.
Old October 25, 2009, 07:06 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Please don't misquote me, I still stand by the fact that high-end PSU's are rated for lower wattages than they can do. It's what makes them quality. If they sold 750's as 850's it wouldn't be quality anymore, it would be the same as any other PSU.
What makes a quality PSU is that it can output its rated wattage while maintaining low levels of ripple and tight voltage regulation, among other things. You can stand by your belief as much as you want, but it's still wrong.

And I didn't misquote you. I responded directly to what you said.