Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 3, 2007, 07:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Troubleshooting - PSU dead?

I knew I was overdue for something to go wrong... Got a no-power situation on the rig in my signature. The PSU is an Antec Earthwatts 500 (which comes with Sonata III case).

Everything's been rock-solid for the last few months, and it was working great last night. I gave the bios a little tweak to 405x9 for the CPU speed, and set it on dual-Orthos. Ran fine for 30 minutes, temps were stable, so I left it overnight. Woke up this morning, computer was completely dead, the power switch non-responsive. So I started trouble-shooting...

-The computer wasn't disturbed and the UPS that the system runs off of shows no unusual events or problems.
-No evidence of magic smoke leaks or burn marks anywhere on the system. No evidence of liquid leaks (or glycol smell)
-The "power available" LED on the mobo is on, but when I jump the PS_ON pin to GND on the ATX cable, I get nothing (not even the water pump starting). I get a (very) brief flicker from the PCI-E LED, suggesting that the system received a momentary burst of power, but nothing more. No beeps are to be heard at any time.
-Checked that all connectors were seated firmly, all unused connectors out of the way.
-Reset BIOS. (probably pointless under the circumstances, but you never know)
-Removed non-essential connectors, double-checked back of mobo for standoff problems.
-Drained PSU, reset BIOS and removed battery, let sit for several hours.

All this got me no results, and I'm out of ideas now. Everything seems to suggest that I have a dead power supply. I don't suppose anyone has any other ideas before I go shopping?
Old September 3, 2007, 07:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Nope, sounds like you've been through everything but swapping in a different PSU, or trying your current PSU on a different board.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 4, 2007, 02:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

Damn. Wasn't the PSU, after all. Tried a new PSU, no go. Had the motherboard tested, and apparently one of the VRM's is dead, and didn't have the decency to look like it. Time to go receipt hunting...

Anyone with an MSI P35 board, you might consider sticking a couple ramsinks on the VRM's north of the socket. I'm guessing that the limited airflow around the area, courtesy of the watercooling and the 80mm PSU design, coupled with my 3.6 Ghz quad-core, was enough to push the VRM over its limits.

Ah well, we live and learn...