Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 5, 2009, 07:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default 4 Pin ATX to supply an unlocked 550BE?

Alright, so this is a PSU/MB/CPU question... but I guess this is the best place to put the thread.

I'm going to be attempting to unlock my 550BE, but I'm not sure how the power consumption change is going to work from 2 to 4 cores if I'm successful. The reason I ask is that I currently have an OCZ StealthXStream 500W PSU that comes with a 4 pin ATX connector. I have this plugged in to the 8 pin ATX slot on the MB. (Primary in sig) Before I try to unlock, do I need to get a new PSU with an 8 pin connector? I'm not sure if the AM3 quad cores, unlocked or stock, require this. Or is 4 pin fine in this case as the wattage supplied is fine? (I know I'm approaching the peak of what my PSU outputs, but I hesitate to upgrade it as it's been an awesome workhorse and it's almost dead silent.)

*EDIT* - Photo to clarify:

Last edited by Caldezar; October 5, 2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old October 5, 2009, 07:02 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Im not familiar with that PSU, but if its a single-rail type you should be fine... But let's wait and see what everyone else says, before I open-mouth-insert-foot. lol
Old October 5, 2009, 07:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Actually, it operates on a dual 12v rail
Old October 5, 2009, 08:13 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Eeek, so then its one rail for the CPU/Mobo and one for the PCIe connectors most likely. That might be pushing that lil PSU a bit much, and may cause instability if you OC very high. I'd say try it, but keep an eye on your 12v rails using a multimeter. If you see them start to droop lots when you load the CPU, i'd suggest a beefier PSU (Single Rail, 600-750w, good quality) which will last you far longer.
Old October 5, 2009, 08:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Actually, I'm not really concerned about the PSU as it has a built in cut-off. If it hits a draw of even a single Watt over it's rated capacity, it'll shut off immediately. It's kind of a pain in that I know it's capable of pushing about 575W, (It's internally an identical PSU to the Silverstone Strider ST50F) but it's nice to have a fail safe that's so dependable. I'm actually much more concerned about the CPU having issues. Will it cause issues or hurt the CPU to try this?
Old October 5, 2009, 08:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

If your PS has issues then your CPU will too. Don't chance it.
Old October 5, 2009, 12:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

That being said, and Running a PSU to Its absolute MAx, and or Peak Constantly will shorten its lifespan considerably.

I wouldn't do it, but thats just me.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 5, 2009, 01:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

It's not going to magically hurt your CPU if you only have four pins instead of eight connected, and I don't believe I've heard of any motherboards deactivating options if a full 8-pin plug isn't used. But if the chip winds up pulling enough power, eight pin are better able to provide it, helping to ensure stability while overclocking. But even with four pins, you're not going to be exceeding current limits on the wires, or anything of that sort.
Old October 5, 2009, 01:17 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I'd think with only two 12v wires going to the board for power (and only 1 rail) that a heavy load spike on an OC'd CPU will cause a huge vDroop and therefore probably a BSOD. I'm with ST on this one, just get a better PSU and "be safe rather than sorry".

On a side note: Check out reviews of the new Seasonic X-750 Psu, its absolutely amazing if you're looking for a quality replacement.
Old October 5, 2009, 01:31 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

The 4-pin connector is fine, and you're nowhere near reaching the maximum load capacity of your PSU. It's not the greatest unit, but it's certainly plenty for your needs.