Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 17, 2009, 08:14 PM
Rookie

My whole buying plan pretty much revolves around pricematch. When you say the sales aren't what they used to be you're definitely right but every site should have different products on sale. Between all the different sales I should be able to lower the price dramatically through the ncix sales and pricematch.

Last edited by Red Lite3; September 17, 2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old September 17, 2009, 09:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yes, but keep an eye out for OEM wiring schemes, that standard ATX PSU's don't work in. For that matter, if the computer's six years old, really double-check the wiring scheme.
Old September 18, 2009, 11:26 AM
Rookie

How would I go about checking that. Sorry for my lack of info but since picking the psu for my new build was plain and simple I haven't looked into them in detail. My motherboard is a socket 775 and it's the MSI MS-7143. I'm going to look it up a bit but if you know a 300-400w psu that will work please suggest it. EDIT: Just found a user manual going to check that out now.

Last edited by Red Lite3; September 18, 2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old September 18, 2009, 11:49 AM
Rookie

Ok it says it can use standard atx psu's and that a 300 w is recommended I'm going to make sure I don't already have a 300 watt now that I have the computer again.
Old September 18, 2009, 12:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

if your computer is 6 years old i highly doubt the psu in it will produce 300 watts if that was it's rated capacity (you can blame capacitor aging for that one). I you really want to have a fairly good idea how much your system will suck back the juiice i use free calculator at the following site.

eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5

I would also check out the corsair vx450 and 550 PSU they are excellent. (i have had 3 different corsair psu's sofar they are all wonderfuly units and can usually be PM pretty low compared to their NCIX pricing

Old September 18, 2009, 06:27 PM
Rookie

It says that it's good for 350 watts and the computer has had breaks every summer,winter and for most of 2008. I'm going to get the card on Monday and if the power supply gives out I'll get a new one. Plus I'm only getting 196 watts with a processor I believe is better than mine so as of right now I'm pretty confident it should work.

Last edited by Red Lite3; September 18, 2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old September 25, 2009, 10:11 AM
Rookie

There's a new PC store in my town and I'm going to pick up a 400 watt power supply. My current 350 watt is 5 years old and the efficiency is probably useless. It says my power supply is a standard atx power supply and the switch on the back is at 15v, so would any standard atx power supply work? I don't know how to tell the rail voltage or something like that but I'm guessing it's 15 volts and also is modular drastically better than a regular one?
Old September 25, 2009, 10:42 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Lite3 View Post
There's a new PC store in my town and I'm going to pick up a 400 watt power supply. My current 350 watt is 5 years old and the efficiency is probably useless. It says my power supply is a standard atx power supply and the switch on the back is at 15v, so would any standard atx power supply work? I don't know how to tell the rail voltage or something like that but I'm guessing it's 15 volts and also is modular drastically better than a regular one?
Not just any PSU you find will be decent. Get a pricelist from them and post it here so we can tell you what to get. The fact is that without doing a decent amount of research and really knowing what is good and what isn't, you can't really make a good purchasing decision.
Old September 25, 2009, 10:51 AM
Rookie

I'm not out for a very good power supply just enough to run a 4650 but I am trying to find one with a decent efficiency rating. I'm going to measure my current power supply and look around to find out anything else I can about my space and railing etc.
Old September 25, 2009, 11:00 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Efficiency is a pretty minor thing compared to overall voltage regulation, ripple suppression, and the ability of a PSU to run at its full rated capacity. Just copying your current PSU's specs isn't going to get you anything decent. Post a price list and then I can give you some recommendations. Otherwise, you'll most likely end up with a poor-quality unit.

If you do decide to ignore that advice, at least limit yourself to buying a PSU from one of these brands: Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, Antec (Earthwatts, Neopower, Truepower New lines), Enermax (EXCEPT the Tomahawk line).