Corsair 45 77.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 21, 2009, 06:15 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
Corsair=Seasonic as their oem, no?
Not always. SOME are....some are not. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 21, 2009, 06:19 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Silverstone, PCP&C, Corsair.

Owned a Decathlon, a Silencer and now an HX850, loved em all :)
Old September 21, 2009, 06:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
Corsair=Seasonic as their oem, no?
Most of corsair are from CWT witch is also a really good brand. And for HP and dell, most of the time you can see SPI ( sparkle ) PSU in these machine. Also a really good brand.

Ask for more.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 21, 2009, 07:39 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
And for HP and dell, most of the time you can see SPI ( sparkle ) PSU in these machine. Also a really good brand.
Sparkle Power is FSP, which isn't that great of a brand. And Dell and HP often use other brands, like Bestec, Hipro, and Delta for their PSUs.
Old September 21, 2009, 07:49 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Sparkle Power is FSP, which isn't that great of a brand.
Once again that depends on the specific unit. Although the ones based off their Epsilon units are rather weak compared to many other similar wattage units.
Old September 21, 2009, 07:55 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Once again that depends on the specific unit. Although the ones based off their Epsilon units are rather weak compared to many other similar wattage units.
FSP units range from nothing special to downright bad in most cases. Only a select few are PSUs that I'd consider to be particularly good (the new Coolermaster Silent Pro 850W and 1000W models come to mind, although even those are group regulated and the 1kW model has awful voltage regulation when crossloaded).
Old September 22, 2009, 07:29 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

PC Power and Cooling was the first company to start making high end psu for pc's. Ive used em in 2 builds, and am a loyal customer. If the price is right, Corsair and Seasonic I would not hesitate in using. Ive used 1 enermax, in my old P4, and no problems whatsoever. Antec, i wont use. I used to work for Pc Medic, in atlantic Canada, and they used antec exclusively. The number of bad psu units I saw, i believe is higher then what really should be. It was quite common to have a 2-3 year old machine come in for service, and completely unrelated, the psu would be making a barely noticable high pitched squeel. The PSU would be working, but that alone qualifies it for an rma, so id swap it out, heck i wouldnt used any psu that sounds like that.
The other problem may not be exclusive to antec, but about twice a month, a system would come in with blown psu, dead motherboard, dead HD, and bad cpu fan. (One customer had a 3yr old comp, with raid 1 - he wasnt too happy with the diagnosis ) Sometimes the customer reported the system to be used with a good power surge bar, sometimes not. Now i believe this is the result of a power surge, psu blows, and takes out several components. Mind you the power in some areas of Halifax is known to be terrible. Any thoughts?
Old September 22, 2009, 07:38 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by odis172 View Post
Antec, i wont use. I used to work for Pc Medic, in atlantic Canada, and they used antec exclusively. The number of bad psu units I saw, i believe is higher then what really should be. It was quite common to have a 2-3 year old machine come in for service, and completely unrelated, the psu would be making a barely noticable high pitched squeel. The PSU would be working, but that alone qualifies it for an rma, so id swap it out, heck i wouldnt used any psu that sounds like that. ?
Old Antec Truepower and Truepower 2.0 PSUs used low-quality capacitors that didn't respond well to heat and would fail prematurely. That has not been an issue for years and Antec makes some of the best consumer-grade PSUs you can find anywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by odis172 View Post
The other problem may not be exclusive to antec, but about twice a month, a system would come in with blown psu, dead motherboard, dead HD, and bad cpu fan. (One customer had a 3yr old comp, with raid 1 - he wasnt too happy with the diagnosis ) Sometimes the customer reported the system to be used with a good power surge bar, sometimes not. Now i believe this is the result of a power surge, psu blows, and takes out several components. Mind you the power in some areas of Halifax is known to be terrible. Any thoughts?
Not a PSU problem. A surge protector will protect a PSU from some surges, but not from dirty power, which you need a line conditioner or line-interactive UPS for.
Old September 22, 2009, 07:50 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Ah so theyve really increased the quality in the last few years, good to know.
The second part I suspected wasnt their problem, thanks for confirming.
Old September 22, 2009, 10:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i have used mostly antec or corsair brands. It depends on how much of a budget but i have been impressed with offerings from both. Recently i seem to be leaning more towards corsair. (it's all about the free stickers ).

Ones i have used.

Antec Neo HE 500
Antec Earthwatts
Corsair VX, TX and HX series at 550, 650 and 750 wattages.