Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10, 2007, 06:00 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Comment Thread for Xion Supernova 600W Power Supply Review

The review is up, the unit didn't perform all that well but it has a smokin' price point. Let us know what you think!!

Here is the review:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/hardw...html#post16678

Enjoy!!
Old August 10, 2007, 07:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm surprised that you didn't like the style of connections. It's very similar to what we use on aircraft electronics.

I've never liked the standard connections for modular PSUs. I much prefer a positive lock, and absolutely hate the plastic tab/hook style like those on motherboard connections.

That said.... it's a pity this PSU didn't perform a bit better. Those connections paired with the bling of the lit up connection points would have had me considering it as a possible choice for an open window case.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 10, 2007, 07:46 AM

The modular connectors are great if you are working with them OUTSIDE of your case.

Now, try lining up the connectors properly when the power supply is installed in a smaller case like the Antec Sonata or Coolermaster Centurion. It gets pretty cramped between the installed drives and the power supply at the top of the case. Trying to line up little pegs in the right holes at just the right angle is a lesson in futility especially when the cables are always trying to twist in the opposide direction because of the sleeving.

On top of that, having to then jimmy your hand and fingers into the limited space to actually TIGHTEN the connectors will have you screaming at the PSU gods. I tried it in the Sonata III case and even with my smallish hands, I still got a few cuts on my fingers for my efforts.

Like I said: it looks great but it is not user friendly when it is installed in a case.
Old August 10, 2007, 08:05 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

From what I'm seeing, the only good thing this unit has going for it is the a very durable modular cable interfaces. Xion made neat-looking cases many years ago, but these days they're mostly a shadow of what once was.
Old August 29, 2007, 06:41 AM
Rookie

I have one of these PSU's and I love the look and also being able to install only the cables that are needed. Although the review makes me wonder. After I installed this PSU my CPU temp increased to the point that I had to undo my overclock. Is this possible that the PSU caused the increase in CPU temperature? It was running at 55 -65 C at full load and then it went up to 86 C. Scared the crap out of me when I figured out why my BF2142 game kept on crashing on me.
Old August 29, 2007, 06:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekillerjud View Post
I have one of these PSU's and I love the look and also being able to install only the cables that are needed. Although the review makes me wonder. After I installed this PSU my CPU temp increased to the point that I had to undo my overclock. Is this possible that the PSU caused the increase in CPU temperature? It was running at 55 -65 C at full load and then it went up to 86 C. Scared the crap out of me when I figured out why my BF2142 game kept on crashing on me.
Hows the cable management? Could be a airflow restriction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old August 29, 2007, 08:10 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Hows the cable management? Could be a airflow restriction.
Cable management is great because I only have 1 cable connected besides the main cable at the moment. I also have 3 fans running in the case as well. I even cleaned the heatsink and such and it didn't have any effect on the temp. I'm confused by this and now think I should invest in a better cpu cooler and new thermal paste. I have the AMD stock cooler that came with my 4200 X2 CPU installed at the moment. It use to run at 32 C at idle but is now at 40 C.
Old August 29, 2007, 08:11 AM

Personally, I have never heard of this happening. Are you running your CPU at the same voltage it was at before?
Old August 29, 2007, 09:06 AM
Rookie

I didn't change anything. I changed out PSU's and that was it. 2 days later my system starts CTD everytime I started BF2142. Then I checked the temp in my asus probe.
Old August 29, 2007, 09:36 AM

Check the voltages at the connectors with a DMM when your computer is under load. See what you come up with.