Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 31, 2009, 05:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Powering External HDD from Molex?

Hey guys, so my question for you today is: Can I power my external hard drive using the psu in my desktop? I currently have a Nexstar CX 3.5" enclosure with eSATA and USB. I use it pretty regularly and have become quite frustrated with hooking up the power and usb to my desktop every time I need it.

I plan on building a hard drive bay for my desktop where I can slot in the external whenever I need it which would be like this device here: Eagle iNeo I-NA303US-S 3.5"/5.25" SATA to USB/eSATA docking station with enclosure
. My only issue at the moment is the power supply, apart from getting another power supply, would I be able to power it using the molex or sata power cables from my PSU?. The adapter the enclosure uses has an output of 12V to 3A max and output power of 36W. If its of any help, its an Opti model PA 116SA. Any help would be much appreciated and helping me wire it if possible

Old July 31, 2009, 05:32 PM
F@H

Yep you can, my motherboard in my sig actually came with a face plat that allows me to run a molex connector to it and 2 sata connectors to it. On the other side is the molex (which has a splitter adapter to make it into 2) and 2 e-sata (which has an adapter back to regular sata) so i wouldn't see why you should be able to do it yourself
Old July 31, 2009, 06:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Um, not sure If I didn't make this clear enough, but the external drive doesnt have any molex/sata power slots on the back. The question is whether or not I can make or buy a coax/eiaj plug (required by the external drive to work) to molex adapter.

Something like this but with compatible pins. Connector/Adaptor: From Stand Tamiya Male to 5.5 mm x 2.1 mm Barrel Male - AD-TMML-BPFM
Also, would the molex be able to feed the 3A required automatically or would it just not work? (My knowledge of electricity is horrible lol)

Old July 31, 2009, 06:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

what type of connector does this enclosure use?

Sometimes they use a 4 prong plug which is generally a 12v a 5v and 2 grounds or something of that nature.
Old July 31, 2009, 08:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's a 1 prong plug which is actually the same as my laptops. Like this one File:EIAJconnector2 edit.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It's the end on the right

So yea, is this possible?

Last edited by CroSsFiRe2009; August 1, 2009 at 12:41 AM.