Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 4, 2009, 04:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonStormatHardwareCanuc View Post
I have two systems that use dual PSUs. It isn't absolutely necessary; as others have pointed out above, you could just use one good PSU. But I can tell you that your system will never be quiet if you're running 4 powerful GPUs off of one PSU (I mean modern GPUs that require two power connectors each, not the weaker ones that have only one connection).

For example, I have a Folding@home rig that hosts two 8800GTXs and two 9800GX2s. My Enermax Galaxy EVO 1250 can handle all of that, but it's as loud as a vacuum cleaner. So instead, I'm using two quality, high-power PSUs, splitting the load between them. In this manner, neither is being called upon to deliver even 50% of its rated capacity; and so both PSUs remain blissfully quiet. And this quietude is worth it to me to go to the trouble of dual PSUs.

By the way, as far as I know, there are only about 3 cases on the market that are designed to house two PSUs...otherwise you'll need an open rig of some sort. The Nzxt Khaos and the Antec P190 both come with a cable that starts both PSUs at the same time; otherwise you could buy a dual-PSU adaptor cable from PerformancePCs.com (it was less than $10, if I remember).
Powersupplies are only loud when they are being overused and some power supplies get louder when more of a load are on them.
Old July 4, 2009, 05:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Um Canada Computers has the OCZ StealthXStream 500W for $30, not the GameXStream.

As for running it like that, you can but I'd advise against it. Where are you going to put the 2nd PSU? Plus your case would have to be open all the time and imo, it's pretty dangerous to do that.
Old July 4, 2009, 05:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Powersupplies are only loud when they are being overused and some power supplies get louder when more of a load are on them.
I have to disagree here, most *good* power supplies get loud because of heat triggering the fan they use to jump from 20% to 80%(and then 100% if your system/PSU get really hot). Same reason why some people think reference coolers on some ATi/nVidia cards are loud, because the default fan profiles provided by companies are never as smooth as they should be stock.

What I'm trying to say is this, a loud PSU does not mean its being overused, but an overused PSU will always be loud.