Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 22, 2009, 08:19 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Power supply fan rattle

When I start a game or demanding program the fan begins a quick paced rattling sound that isn't too loud but certainly audible. I know it is the fan because if I cover the vent with my hand, preventing air flow the sound stops. I noticed it will continue after the gaming as well. It's a bottom placed 12cm fan. If anyone happens to know what specifically may be causing this or a possible fix, please let me know. Thanks!
Old June 22, 2009, 10:10 PM
Allstar

Did you check under the PSU to see if a wire is sticking through the grill or perhaps the grille mounting screws are loose?
Old June 22, 2009, 10:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yeah, sounds like either a loose fan, or something obstructing the fan. Most bottom PSU fans can be tightened without opening the unit, so I'd give that a shot first.

Another possibility is that the fan's motor/bearings are going. What PSU is it?
Old June 23, 2009, 08:17 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

There aren't any wires in its path. I'll definitely try tightening the grill and fan screws but I suspect I may have to open it up. I'll post how it goes in an hour or so. It is an Apevia 500W. Not sure the exact model, came with my case.

UPDATE: oook, so I pulled out the power supply and tightened the fan grill screws and casing screws to death, re-inserted it and started up the computer. I launched Oblivion and the rattle returned but LOUDER! Arg. I noticed it goes away if I clamp the PSU against the top of the case with my hand quite hard.. Not sure what that means either. I think I can even hear it at idle now, but that could be my paranoia lol. I have only 2 guesses now: Simply the setting of the PSU in the case causes a vibration at higher fan speeds or the fan is lose. I'm reluctant to open the PSU as the place I got it said its under warranty for a year and that would obviously rip the assinine warranty sticker. May just try and peel it without ripping it

Last edited by clone63; June 23, 2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old June 24, 2009, 04:51 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Try powering up with the power supply out of the case, to see if it is the power supply itself making the noise.
Old June 24, 2009, 07:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

My Suggestion, change your PSU.
Apevia's have some issues for sure. Some like to let out the magic smoke if taxed. And their Fans are low quality and prone to failure.

Apevia, Power Up! etc etc... bad brands.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 24, 2009, 09:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds like the fan is causing the entire PSU to rattle when its in high use, are you sure you have it mounted securely in your case as well?
Old June 25, 2009, 01:07 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Well, I definitely have it secured in place, I've even tried leaving it loose. It doesn't rattle when its out of the case on it's side, but I've identified a specific corner on the fan grill where even light pressure will make the rattle stop, although no matter how tight that screw is it still rattles. This tells me I can't do anything without opening it up, so I guess until I decide to take it in, I will have to crank up the volume or switch to headphones.
Old June 25, 2009, 07:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If the fan grille that you're talking about is on the back of the PSU, you could drive a small piece of material there. Or if it's like my main rig's side panel fan, hitting it a few times stops the rattling (no the fan doesn't stop along with the rattling)
Old June 25, 2009, 07:48 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
Or if it's like my main rig's side panel fan, hitting it a few times stops the rattling (no the fan doesn't stop along with the rattling)
Lol, no, it's a bottom placed fan grill, i.e, it points towards the floor from the top of my case. But yes, before I break and take it in I might just give a hard knock or two to dislodge any stuffs. Thanks all who have helped so far!