Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 31, 2009, 01:37 PM
MVP

Default what is wrong? power supply or hard drive?

what is wrong? power supply or hard drive? i cant start up my computer. it first start..... i always put my comp to sleep. this time i resume from sleep.... it stall..... and cant move mouse. then luckly it work after a few min.

i thought everything was being all good.... then somehow i put it to sleep again and went somewhere.... came back and resume.... it wont! hearing a patterned noise from the hard drive. .... . .... . .... . .... . like that. high long pitch and low short pitch. the screen says disk read error. so it must be the hdd? i tried pulling the hdd out and place it on my hand... while turning on the comp.... and i can feel the noise from my hand. so it came from the hdd.

i tried taking all wires off from hdd and shake it in my hand... i feel something lose inside. is that normal? i tried plugging unplugging the 2 wires that connect to the hdd. still no work.

i am also thinking its the psu too cause last time my bro comp wont turn on and have this similar noise too... then switch psu then it work. so is it psu or hdd?
Old May 31, 2009, 02:15 PM
Allstar

I'd recommed downloading Hiren's Boot CD (from any torrent site) and burning it to disc. Then boot off the disc and it gives you a ton of options. Choose the hard disk testing tool related to your hd and it will let you know if it's toast or not. Not sure if you have a working computer or laptop to do this with though. If you are able to work in windows with that hard drive you can always check the Event Viewer to see if there are bad blocks. You can also try chkdsk /r from a command prompt which can fix some errors with windows files that are corrupt. The only problem is it can take a very long time so I'd probably try the other options first.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old May 31, 2009, 03:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

are you using seagate drives?

what about OS?

back in 2003 i tried the hibernate option in window XP, after a few tries the PC never booted up again. When i bough it to future shop for warranty repair the tech said the motherboards been fried

But in your case you do get some troubleshoot noise and were able to post. so it must be the harddrives.
Old May 31, 2009, 03:14 PM
MVP

oh ok nod. ill keep that as refferene.

heres update:
after i leave the comp on for 2 hours.... it keep making noise and screen says disk read error.... so i leave it on for 2 hours...... then come check...... the screen is on windows login! it work! everything work! im using it right now!

but still need to find out whats the problem. psu or hdd. but mostly believing hdd. maybe bad block ect.. like u said. ill try to scan for hdd error something something like u said. and yeah i do have other computer to access. that option of burning... sounds hassle. ill try the disk scan thing first.

note: the very first post of this thread.... i use other comp to post.
Old May 31, 2009, 03:18 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX View Post
are you using seagate drives?

what about OS?

back in 2003 i tried the hibernate option in window XP, after a few tries the PC never booted up again. When i bough it to future shop for warranty repair the tech said the motherboards been fried

But in your case you do get some troubleshoot noise and were able to post. so it must be the harddrives.
mobo fried? thats scarry. and your situation seems alot like mine! in fact im scared! yes it is seagate hdd made in china. 320gb, 8mb cache. os is windows 7.

now that it can finally boot up after leaving it for 2 hours..... do i still have risk that mobo is frying? or im through with the risk? and through with defective hdd?

Last edited by hohohee; May 31, 2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old May 31, 2009, 08:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

chance of frying are really small, and you probably have better hardware compared to my P4.

i haven't let the PC in sleep mode ever since F@H
Old June 2, 2009, 08:26 PM
MVP

so it is the hard drive?

do i buy hard drive first or power supply? i dont want to waste money if its hard drive then i buy power supply vice versa. right now it happend again and i even left it on all night expecting for it to be normal like last time but this time it dont!
Old June 3, 2009, 09:19 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohohee View Post
so it is the hard drive?

do i buy hard drive first or power supply? i dont want to waste money if its hard drive then i buy power supply vice versa. right now it happend again and i even left it on all night expecting for it to be normal like last time but this time it dont!

When was the last time you scanned for hard drive errors?
When was the last time you defragged your hard drive?
What is your operating system?

P.S. never shake your hdd, you can go blind from that!

Last edited by hertz9753; June 3, 2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old June 3, 2009, 11:44 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

i'm leaning towards the motherboard too. if it's "fine" after two hours of pissing around it sounds like the worst cold start problem i've ever heard. cold start problems = motherboard
Old June 4, 2009, 09:41 PM
MVP

shake hdd can go blind? shake hdd is dangerous and might explode?

motherboard? hmmmm..... well i once did install 8800 gts 512mb on 350 xvs ultra psu and the psu blew up. if motherboard mess up...... no way can fix?