Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 25, 2009, 02:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

It kills me to this day why some folks "insist" on trying to go "cheaper" and save money on a decent PSU......obviously they have never had to deal with PSU problems!!!....pita....spend the extra on a good PSU..period!!

As stated: (not in nay order)
Corsair
PC P&C
Silverstone
Enermax

to name a few of the best!

Old May 25, 2009, 03:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

I wonder if Corsair is trying to go the same route as Antec with their Signature series. Even by premium standards, the PSU's were excellent, but the price was through the roof. They've settled down now, but they're still expensive. It'll be interesting to see how these things do once the more reputable testers get their hands on them.
Old May 25, 2009, 04:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ummm a lot of people paid almost 200 for the HX620 when it came out, why wouldn't they pay that for a 750 or 850?
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old May 25, 2009, 04:48 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
You wanna bet?

People WILL pay for those PSUs because not only of quality but build and performance.

Corsair, PC P&P, and Enermax are some of the best makers of PSUs out there.
+1

I paid almost $180 for an 850w non-modular from Corsair because of their excellent reputation for having incredibly reliable and good performing PSUs.

Just look at prices for PC P&C, Enermax, Silverstone, Seasonic power supplies, all of them are pricey by most measures but they are all great products. The days of cheaping out on your PSU is mostly over at this point in time. I would have paid $70 more for modular cables, I have 2 pcie cables and 2 sata that now need to be managed because I went with non-modular.
Old May 25, 2009, 04:56 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Things are always expensive on release. Price will probably make more sense after it's out for a month or two, when the sales and mail-in rebates start coming out.

Old May 25, 2009, 05:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hell I paid $170 for the HX620 not too long after it came out. Now, considering the 1K Corsair can be found for not much more than that I don't know if those are good prices, but people will still buy them.

I don't regret spending the money on my Corsair PSU.

Old May 25, 2009, 07:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Those are some nice PSU's with a 7 year Warranty. Thats amazing.
Almost enough to make me switch over...Almost lol!!!

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 25, 2009, 07:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Antec aren't any good?

My TPQ 850 was reasonably priced at just $149 when I purchased it and its solid unit.

EE
Old May 25, 2009, 08:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
Antec aren't any good?

My TPQ 850 was reasonably priced at just $149 when I purchased it and its solid unit.

EE
The TPQ 850 is a great PSU altho it did suffer some issues with nvidia cards around the debut time of the 8800GT but was later fixed and runs well.
Old May 25, 2009, 08:33 PM
MVP

I recently bought an HX 620 and I love it. It is so quiet! Compared to the xfinity 600 it replaced, it is silent! And to the fellow that suggested buying a decent PSU - YES! I've just finished a round of trouble shooting - even replaced a video card - just to find out it was the PSU all along! Bios updates, different video card, clean OS install, and all because I didn't buy a good PSU in the first place. Never again. Oh, and by the way, people might say modular isn't worth it, but I like modular - nice and clean.