Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 17, 2009, 10:33 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Custom sleeved 6 plug Pcie power cable

Awhile back while I was parusing either XS or EOC forums I saw that someone had customized thier pcie power cable on thier Tri-SLi setup. It was one of the most elegant clean ribbons that I've ever seen and I can't for the life of me find the original How-to. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

It looked something like this.

===U==========U==========U===
===U==========U==========U===

This modder made it look so very clean with the ribbon type power cable running vertically it just looked spectacular with all three of his video cards powered in-line. Also the guy somehow bought the 6 pin pcie plugs where the lines came into the plug at right angles so the whole ribbon connected flush to all his video cards. Damn I wish I could find it again as it's such a beautifully elegant mod. :help:
Old May 17, 2009, 04:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Bit-tech has quite a few examples of this, and I know a few people here have modified their SATA power cables to this. I agree that it does look damn awesome.

For PCI-E though, wouldn't they need to use wire that's thicker than originally? Because I assume that the amount of current flowing through only two cables for three cards would be insane. This would look amazingly nice.
Old May 17, 2009, 05:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

I expect that it would be so-so as far as the wire is concerned. PCI-E specs call for 75W/6-pin connector, and that's spread across three 12V lines, so you wind up with a maximum of a little over 2A/wire, which isn't a huge deal. The bigger question might be the PSU's rail distribution and connector construction. Safest bet might be to use a single-rail PSU, take power off two of the PCI-E cables, and then join them near end, for the part that's actaully visible.