Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 17, 2009, 10:33 AM

My System Specs

Default Custom sleeved 6 plug Pcie power cable

Awhile back while I was parusing either XS or EOC forums I saw that someone had customized thier pcie power cable on thier Tri-SLi setup. It was one of the most elegant clean ribbons that I've ever seen and I can't for the life of me find the original How-to. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

It looked something like this.

This modder made it look so very clean with the ribbon type power cable running vertically it just looked spectacular with all three of his video cards powered in-line. Also the guy somehow bought the 6 pin pcie plugs where the lines came into the plug at right angles so the whole ribbon connected flush to all his video cards. Damn I wish I could find it again as it's such a beautifully elegant mod. :help:
Old May 17, 2009, 04:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Bit-tech has quite a few examples of this, and I know a few people here have modified their SATA power cables to this. I agree that it does look damn awesome.

For PCI-E though, wouldn't they need to use wire that's thicker than originally? Because I assume that the amount of current flowing through only two cables for three cards would be insane. This would look amazingly nice.
Old May 17, 2009, 05:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

I expect that it would be so-so as far as the wire is concerned. PCI-E specs call for 75W/6-pin connector, and that's spread across three 12V lines, so you wind up with a maximum of a little over 2A/wire, which isn't a huge deal. The bigger question might be the PSU's rail distribution and connector construction. Safest bet might be to use a single-rail PSU, take power off two of the PCI-E cables, and then join them near end, for the part that's actaully visible.
i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 580GTX | Corsair DDR3-2133