Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 2, 2009, 09:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Tri Sli 280's / OC'd I7 n Corsair HX 1kW

I think thier maybe a couple of folks running this arrangement on here? Any issues with it...I know if I go to the NVidia Site it will not list the Corsair HX 1kW with a 280 Tri Sli config and suggests 1.2kW....but hey...it should be alright eh?

Old May 2, 2009, 09:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It'll be more than enough to power your rig with Tri-SLI GTX280. Just make sure you got enough PCI-E connectors.

Uhh, I noticed that you're gaming at 24". Do you really need to Tri-SLI? Just wondering....=)
Old May 2, 2009, 10:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
It'll be more than enough to power your rig with Tri-SLI GTX280. Just make sure you got enough PCI-E connectors.
The HX 1kW comes with 3 sets of 6 Pin and 8 Pin connectors
Quote:
Uhh, I noticed that you're gaming at 24". Do you really need to Tri-SLI? Just wondering....=)
No not necessary at all....it goes way beyond what I "need" at this point Geo :)

Old May 2, 2009, 10:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
The HX 1kW comes with 3 sets of 6 Pin and 8 Pin connectors

No not necessary at all....it goes way beyond what I "need" at this point Geo :)
Thats acutally the right amount you need, it was like it was made for TRI-SLI

Just wait when one of these days RJ you will stumble upon a 30" WS on sale and snatch it up. Besides we needn't a reason to go way beyond, this is computer hardware its 100% justified without need or reason. Some men buy sports cars, Rj in our case buys computer hardware, don't question his reasoning we must support one another in these indecisive times.

1, 2, 3, MEN!!

EE
Old May 2, 2009, 10:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
Thats acutally the right amount you need, it was like it was made for TRI-SLI

Just wait when one of these days RJ you will stumble upon a 30" WS on sale and snatch it up. Besides we needn't a reason to go way beyond, this is computer hardware its 100% justified without need or reason. Some men buy sports cars, Rj in our case buys computer hardware, don't question his reasoning we must support one another in times of need.

1, 2, 3, MEN!!

EE
haha ... true.
Old May 2, 2009, 11:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah now I'm all "in a cafuffle" that my HX 1kW will be barely enough....damn...don't want to have to get another PSU......
Please check my math
3 x 280's OC'd approx. 720W + I7 OC'd to 3.8 Ghz approx. 250W = 970W + 7 x 120 mm Fans, 2 x Optical Drives, 2 x HD's = a lot ............

Hopefully some more knowledgeable members can chime in before I figure out how to cancel my order at Newegg before Monday AM :)

Damn.....knew I should have gone with 1.2kW....

Old May 2, 2009, 11:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How would you've oh known that Rj, don't beat yourself up brother.

Have a quick chat with Corsair, I'd try the support forums it would be the quickest way to get a response.

Personally, I think the HX1000 will be more than enough for your system.

Regards,

EE
Old May 2, 2009, 11:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah no worries EE, i'll figure it out...I know one thing, I cannot afford to drop another $400 on a decent 1.2kW.....ouch!! What a deal to stumble upon tough eh? The BFG GTX 280 OCX Editon for $359......
Oh well...gonna go and have a "stroll" at the Corsair forum.....and see.....but I think I may just have to "cancel"...seems really close to fine...even checked out HC Review on the Evga GTX 280 drawing heaps of power, particularly with the OC'd versions...hell thier isn't anything in my damn Rig running Stock...cept maybe my Optical Drives :)
The BFG OCX Edition BFG GTX 280 OCX 1GB Video Card Review - 340W Peak Power....ouch!
The Evga GTX 280 SC Edition EVGA GeForce GTX 280 1GB Superclocked Review - 400W Peak Power...wooaah

Anyhow..the figure I grabbed of 720W for 3 Cards was from OCz Extreme where a guy hooked up his Kilowatt meter to Tri Sli 280's while running Vantage.

Old May 3, 2009, 06:45 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Corsair is notorious for under rating their supplies too. I think you are fine with that puppy. Heck, spend the money on some SSDs to cut your power requirements ;p
Fold for team #54196
Old May 3, 2009, 07:03 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

(I replied in your other thread, here it is again)

Kruz runs a TT 1.2Kw with triple 280s.

To give you a benchmark, my Main rig with oc'ed 260s, oc'ed i7 at full load needs 495W (Zalman), or 475W (APC software). It runs with a TX750W.
The Folding rig with stock 275s, stock i7 needs 413W under full load (APC software, no load on the CPU yet). It runs with an EliteXstream 1Kw.