Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 12, 2009, 07:38 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Well if you have any fabrics near your PC, then I suppose its more likely to burn down your house. But generally I don't think houses burn down from PCs. PSUs do blow up in the manner you've described and normally damage the components connected to them.

And the likely hood of this happening is greatly increased since the fan isn't running so all the components are running extremely hot and possibly even beyond spec.
oh i see. so what u think about this psu for spec 2? does it have over 20a? and can at least 2 years?

Dynex DX-400WPS 400-Watt ATX CPU Power Supply - eBay (item 130299304640 end time Apr-17-09 07:08:18 PDT)
Old April 13, 2009, 09:55 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Blag, Dynex, seriously? I have no idea what the quality on that would be but I'm guessing it wouldn't be great.

Look into things like Antec, Corsair, OCZ, Silverstone. About all I'd recommend.
Old April 13, 2009, 10:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Ahhh First Generation Ultras.
Yeah the Fan stopping was a problem on some of them for sure.
An X2 550W that went in a friends build did the exact same thing.

If you have your Recipt, I would RMA them to Ultra, they are excellent at getting you new units on the ASAP.
They would likely replace them with LSP units (which are manufactured by Andyson OEM).

Otherwise , Yeah , I second Mr. Jdrom and say Corsair, Antec, Silverstone, BFG etc etc..

There is never a guarentee on how long any computer component will last.
Anything made by man can fail so, I couldn't say if any of them will give you 2 years.
But, given the high sucess rate of the above named Providers, I'd say go for one of them.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 13, 2009, 03:36 PM
MVP

I had an old cheapie PSU blow sparks out the back and overcurrent some of my wiring that melted.

Somehow when it died, it didn't take anything with it.

Here's the PSU I recommend:
NCIX.com - Buy Sparkle Power SPI ATX-400PN 400W ATX12V 20/24PIN Power Supply W/ 120MM Fan P4 AMD Ready OEM - ATX-400-PN-B In Canada.

It's cheap, it's solid and it's cheap.
I have a bunch of 8800GTS512s (one per PSU) running off these.
Old April 13, 2009, 04:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The whole idea is to avoid those cheap generic PSUs and crap PSUs at all cost - invest in a GOOD power supply, that is the most important investment - make it future proof and get a PSU that is above the rating you need so it won't run on the edge of its specs and heat up ! Some PSUs were notorious for having poor fan speed control, fans that do not speed fast enough and poor internal profiles - the air coming out of that PSU should not be HOT - I've been running my systems full load on my Antec 550's and the fan speed adjusts itself and never has the air coming out been HOT, it's warm yes sometimes, but shouldn't be hot enough to heat your entire room in the winter :-) You may have a defective fan or fan not spinning fast enough - either way do not attempt to open that PSU unless you are extremely careful, and if you don't know about PSUs don't touch them !!! Just get a new PSU and check out some reviews to see if they have any fan speed issues. Some PSUs put a lot of emphasis on being "QUIET" but there again at the cost of heat - they have fans spinning at low RPMs and not speed up when needed. I know some older Antecs had this issue.