Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 12, 2009, 09:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Cooler Master Extreme Power 600W

Who has this PSU and is it noisy?
Also, wat is the maximum components that i can put in it without it dying?

THX

NCIX.com - Buy Coolermaster Extreme Power 600W ATX 12V V2.01 Silent Power Supply 20/24PIN 120MM Fan - RP-600-PCAR In Canada.
Old April 12, 2009, 09:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

From the reviews on that CM one, apparently it's really only 500W.

So I'd be careful as to how much load you put onto it. And well a PSU isn't some place where you should cheap out, should buy a quality unit.
Old April 12, 2009, 10:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My vote goes against that thing. It's clearly an older model - the photo shows a 20-pin ATX plug, for starters. Less than 75% of its rated power is available on the 12V lines, no active PFC, no automatic 110/220V input, it's boasting about an >70% efficiency, which is a little shameful these days, and anything that's wasting 30% of its input power as heat is probably going to need some decent (i.e. noisy) fan power to stay cool. Not to mention that it's almost guaranteed to be mounted in a horizontal position, where its sleeve bearing fan may experience lubrication issues.

Like JD said, you don't want to cheap out on the PSU if you can help it. But if budget is seriously an issue, this definitely isn't the cheap PSU to get.
Old April 12, 2009, 10:25 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

If you need cheap yet decent PSUs, look at FSP/Sparkle/Fortron same company many names all decent (not great but decent) PSUs. Though my votes for spending a few $$ and getting a Corsair, Seasonic or PCP&C unit.

YMMV but you will be happier with the end result that way. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 12, 2009, 04:21 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

I used a 500w model of this psu for a budget build for a friend. It's garbage. I think it's the loudest psu i've ever worked with. I would stay away from this brand. You can get a much better psu used from the forums, or on sales.
Old April 12, 2009, 04:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I used the same power supply for my friend's build. It was loud, and after a while the fan died. I had to replace it with another one. After that though, the power supply was silent and did what it had to do.. There was even a nice LED in the fan.