Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 9, 2009, 06:12 AM
Top Prospect

Default Don't tell me I need a new PS already.

I just got a new power supply 5 months ago.

I think I might need a new one because its now making a squeeling noise after my newest videocard addition. Its an Antec 850 TPQ

Its power the following.

i920 @ 4.375ghz @1.4375 volts HT off
3 SATA HD
18 case fans
2 MCP 655 water pumps
1 4870x2 @1.4 volts or whatever will be needed to get to 850mhz
1 4890
1 dvd drive
1 soundcard.

Its used to be more stable but be able to handle this speed in 3dmark but it can't anymore.

Because of the squeeling of the power supply(it doesn't do it constantly)(it does when the system starts or during certain point during 3dmark, not during idles), I think it is effecting my overclocking.

Is my system enough to strain a 850 watt power supply that has a maximum 12v of 64A?

Its making this squeeling noise without the added volts on the 4870x2 or the addition of about 6 fans and the system having only 1 MCP655.

The calculator recommended me a 1000W PS.
Old April 9, 2009, 06:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

PSU Calculators are really inaccurate and sometimes a little bias depending on which one you used.
Squeeling...that a wierd one. I've heard of Coils inside making that kind of noise when they were at almost full load.
I can't see though that taking all 64Amps though, I could be wrong.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 9, 2009, 06:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The Antec TPQ 850 is a known poor quality power supply. It has a range of issues that effect the way it works. You would be better off with another one, but I doubt it will fail any time soon. Get a DMM and measure all the rails and if everything is in spec then you are facign a tough choice. Replace a known good power supply because it is noisy or you have to live with the noise.

PS: You don't need a 1KW power supply. 800W is plenty as long as you are using a good quality unit. I'd personally stick to Corsair or Silverstone.
Old April 9, 2009, 07:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Are you sure it's the PSU squealing? Lots of video cards squeal under heavy 3d load.
Old April 9, 2009, 09:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My video cards capacitors both squeal while I fold, and so do MANY other people's video cards. That's probably all it is.. Nothing harmful, other than being annoying as hell...

It's a very light high pitched sound, sometimes in a beeping manner. I've gotten so used to it I can barely even hear it anymore.
Old April 9, 2009, 10:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ati cards dont do that anymore well none of my 4800 series do that
Old April 9, 2009, 10:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Check this thread.
squealing psu

At b1lk1: On what information are you basing your poor quality conclusion on the Antec TPQ 850? I read a review from one of the leading authorities on psu's around these here parts(SKYMTL), and purchased a TPQ 850 based on his information. I have had no problems with it. There are also 1 or 2 other HWC members that also use this psu. If you are going to say a particular piece of hardware is of "poor quality", please back it up with a few facts good or bad. It doesn't matter what brand of psu someone buys, psu's will fail and they will come looking for answers or help.
Sheepdog, Your Antec TPQ 850 comes with a 5yr warranty. If you are looking for an 850W psu, here is a very informative review on 2 quality psu's.

Antec Truepower Quattro 850W vs Silverstone Decathlon 850W Review

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)

Last edited by mo' power; April 9, 2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old April 9, 2009, 11:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

Are you absolutely certain the squealing is coming from the PSU? The reason I ask is because the symptoms you mention really do sound like a GPU. You can get noise during heavy load, but the other kind of video card squealing can happen during extremely high framerates, which is common during game loading, still-screen displays, and certain portions of 3DMark06, when the fps is excessively high (i.e. couple hundred fps or more).
Old April 9, 2009, 01:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
The Antec TPQ 850 is a known poor quality power supply. It has a range of issues that effect the way it works. You would be better off with another one, but I doubt it will fail any time soon. Get a DMM and measure all the rails and if everything is in spec then you are facign a tough choice. Replace a known good power supply because it is noisy or you have to live with the noise.

PS: You don't need a 1KW power supply. 800W is plenty as long as you are using a good quality unit. I'd personally stick to Corsair or Silverstone.
Say what?

The Antec TPQ 850 is a perfectly fine psu.

The only major downfall it had was a few years back it was incompatible with nvidia and a few other cards but other than that its a perfectly fine psu.
Old April 9, 2009, 01:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
ati cards dont do that anymore well none of my 4800 series do that
Yours might not. My Diamond 4870 did. Be careful of blanket statements.