Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 15, 2007, 07:13 PM
Rookie

Default OCZ StealthXstream 600W?

does anyone have first hand experience with this power supply? And, how does the OCZ brand stand up against others?
Old June 15, 2007, 07:34 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

OCZ uses FSP as an OEM. While I do not have first hand knowledge of this PSU in particular, it is based on the FSP Epislon which is used for all the GameXstreams. It is basically a rebadged GameXstream 600W without an LED fan, less connectors, different rectifiers and probably a few other things.

It will also carry along with it the Epsilon's out-of-spec ripple.
Old June 15, 2007, 07:54 PM
Rookie

Epsilon's out-of-spec ripple ?

Thanks for the reply by the way, very insightful : )
Old June 15, 2007, 08:58 PM

If you look at any of my PSU reviews in the Reviews section, you will see a good description of what ripple is. Basically, when pushed the Epsilon-based exhibit more ripple than you would want to see out of a quality power supply.
Old June 16, 2007, 05:57 AM
Rookie

Hey Skymtl,

I read couple of your PSU reviews, very thorough.
Is there a brand or type that you recommend that is around $100 mark and has the same properties (connection + Wattage + noise)? thanks in advance.
Does all line of OCZ suffer from the same weakness?
Old June 16, 2007, 08:35 AM

Any of the GameXstream / StealthXstream would suffer the same problem. It should be noted however that this problem only rears its head if you push the power supply. If you are not powering a high-end system, there would be no problem at all.

Around the $100 mark.....well, you could buy my Silverstone OP650 that I have for sale with the proceeds going to charity. Or is you want modular, I have a DA650 for sale as well.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/buy-s...one-da650.html

It is one of the best PSUs in the 650W category.
Old July 18, 2007, 07:21 AM
Top Prospect

I bought a StealthXstream 600W, and installed it. It died during the first night when I had left my computer on. Fortunately, this happened soon enough I was able to return it for an exchange. The tech tested it, and it was absolutely dead on all wires.

The second unit is dead; it just did not turn on the computer. I tried it on both my computers with the same result. However, the LAN light on the mobo lit, but nothing else happened. Oh well... must have been a bad batch from the manufacture.

It's the first time a piece of electronic equipment fails on me like that - twice in a row on top of it.
Old July 18, 2007, 08:00 AM

'Driver, I will make our OCZ rep aware of this. Hopefully it was only a bad batch.

We actually have one on the way for a review but don't expect the review to be up for at least 3 weeks.
Old July 18, 2007, 10:32 AM
Top Prospect

I've kept the serial # of the second unit.

However, I went for an exchange and got an Antec case with PSU (500w) instead. They were out anyway, and only had a GamerXstream which is 50$ more. So, with all the noise I get with the Intel stock fan (P4 3.2 GHz socket 775S), and my old 20 Gig drive making the worst noise in the system, it's a better solution for me.

I would not point this as a really bad point for OCZ, just misfortune. These things happen, no matter how good any company is. Plus, I really liked the design and configuration with all the wires in nets. Very cool.

The testing gadget showed all lights on the green, but the main one red, meaning defective - said the techie.
Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 @1600 MHz
WD Caviar Green 500GB
Windows 7 64bit
Old July 18, 2007, 10:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I have the GameXStream 600W. Works perfectly fine for me. I've had it for probably just over a year now. Powers the computer in my sig.