Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6, 2009, 10:29 AM
Rookie

Default PSU Suggestions?

Hey, I was hoping someone with a little more insight than I on power supplies could provide me a little advice. I'm just realizing that PSU's are actually the basis for a solid build, so my knowledge on the subject is rather limited. I recently ordered a Sapphire HD 4830 only to discover my measly little PSU wouldn't be able to pump out the required juice. This is my first upgrade to my build in two years, so the rest of the hardware is pretty modest (the whole thing cost me ~$900 two years ago).

The bit of research I've done on the subject thus far has led me to the conclusion that the rated wattage means jack (to a degree anyway). What I should really be looking for is how many amps the 12V rail(s) can pump out. Following this reasoning I figure I'd like something with at least 25A on the rail, while 30A would be prefered.

I'm thinking I'd like to pick up a 550W PSU, which should be more than enough juice to power all my components. This should leave me with a low operating temp and some headroom for a few more possible upgrades (I'll be picking up a new PSU altogether when I go for a new build). I was looking at a corsair vx550, but it seems a little on the pricey side still when I'm considering a completely new build in roughly a year down the road and am likely to pick up a corsair hx620 or tx750 then.

So what I'm looking for is a good quality PSU, capable of meeting my previously mentioned wants, but not too pricey as it will be used to power a two year old rig that'll be replaced within a year. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone notices any flaws in any of my reasoning, please, feel free to critique, as I am still learning. Thanks!

Oh, it wouldn't hurt to name what I'm running either I guess. The previously mentioned Sapphire HD 4380 which is on the way, 2 sticks of DDR2 800 RAM, an Athlon 64 X2 3800+, MSI K9N Deluxe mobo, Seagate Baracudda 7200 HDD, and a DVD-RW.
Old March 6, 2009, 10:32 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

A Corsair HX520 would be perfect for you IMO. It would even give you room for future expansion as well and won't break the bank.

However, the HX620 / TX750 option is good as well.
Old March 6, 2009, 11:10 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Time for my usually suggestion (Chrisk, wherever you are...*shush!!!* lol).

You could also grab an Ultra LSP550 if you wanted for roughly the same price or a little less. I'm an Ultra Man, for every build I've done so far.
I have had to RMA 1 in my existance with them, and it was a great experience.

My thoughts at least,

ST

P.S. Corsair is just as good. Both PSU's OEM Designers are Server PSU Manufacturers.

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 6, 2009, 11:25 AM

Sorry, after Ultra's shenanigans with rebadging power supplies, you can forget about me EVER recommending them. EVER.
Old March 6, 2009, 11:30 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Who? What ? Where? How? Why?

I've had no faults in the ones I have owned. And they've passed lots of reviews with flying colours these days.
The vast majority of them are Andy Units now, which perform on Par with the top line ones out there.

I know of the X2 Fiasco, I owned the 550W and after 3 years its fan went south, but the damn thing cooled itself passivly for god knows how long till I noticed.
The net result of that was , a new X3 600W for me for free.

But much like my own Bad Experiences (LG Optical Drives, Patriot Memory) I can understand how that could sour ones opinion SKY.

FWIW, they have been rock stable, and on 24/7 and no blue smoke.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old March 6, 2009, 11:50 AM

Ultra 750w X2? ORLY... NO...It's an 850w X3!! - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

HardOCP's PSU Reviewer has noted the same thing with his review unit.

Sorry, Ultra is out to lunch and I'd rather stick my finger into an electrical socket than buy one of their PSUs.
Old March 6, 2009, 12:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well what do I say, I could do the same thing right now if I wanted to.
Give me a steam Gun and about 5min and I'll put my X3 Label on the LSP450 and call it a day.
Yet more people in those forums defend then attack the 'incident'.
Besides, we are years past the X2 and XVS Series.
They are both EOL and have been for a while.
The X3 and LSP both have Reputable UL Certifcations, and have been 'Proven' to be what they say they are by multiple reviewers out there.

Again, what can I say SKY, you suggest your side, I suggest mine I suppose.
I won't stop suggesting something that I feel has worked for me.
Nor would I ask you to stop suggesting Corsair or PC Power & Cooling..

C'est la vie...

ST

Old March 6, 2009, 12:48 PM

The problem is that Ultra lost the one voice they had for proper PSU production. Their quality went through the roof when he came on board and have now fallen flat...again. I have seen it with review samples they have tried to send my way and the way of other capable reviewers. There was a time when they were well on the way of repairing their reputation and now? Forget it; they are back to el cheapo Wintech units with shoddy QA.

Now BFG is using the guy Ultra lost and you can see what kind of positive effect that had on their PSU lineup.
Old March 6, 2009, 01:30 PM
Rookie

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions! I'm still doing some searching in hopes I can find a decent sub $100 one to meet my needs. My only problem is it doesn't seem like I will get my 25A rail this route though. However, I found the OCZ StealthXStream 600W for a decent price ($79.99 before a $10.00 MIR). I read your review on it, SKYMTL, and it seems like a dedicated 18A PCI-e rail should do the trick of pumping out the required juice. Now, I was hoping someone could actually tell me whether or not this will really be able to power my rig or not. I also have a quick question about the rails: are they each capable of pumping out ~18A each? or is it 18A combined?
Old March 6, 2009, 01:51 PM
Top Prospect

Personally, what I'm waiting for is a pc power&cooling 750 silencer to go back on sale for under $100. I missed out on the sale at ncix earlier this year and have been looking out for it since. I've read nothing but good reviews on that psu not to mention, a good friend of mine uses it as well and has no issues with it. I'm also in no rush to get a new psu anyways, which is why I'm waiting to pounce....