Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6, 2009, 05:24 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodx View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions! I'm still doing some searching in hopes I can find a decent sub $100 one to meet my needs. My only problem is it doesn't seem like I will get my 25A rail this route though. However, I found the OCZ StealthXStream 600W for a decent price ($79.99 before a $10.00 MIR). I read your review on it, SKYMTL, and it seems like a dedicated 18A PCI-e rail should do the trick of pumping out the required juice. Now, I was hoping someone could actually tell me whether or not this will really be able to power my rig or not. I also have a quick question about the rails: are they each capable of pumping out ~18A each? or is it 18A combined?
Problems with OCZ StealthXStream is apparently out of spec ripple on the +12v when put at high (most likely close to max?) load. Not sure if they've fixed that already, but JonnyGURU saw it in the 700W GameXStream review and from what I've heard they both use the FSP Epsilon platform, and should therefore be seen in the StealthXStream as well.

Here's the review: JonnyGURU.com - Power Supply Reviews and more! - Reviews - OCZ GameXstream 700W

Take a look at page 3.

At the same time, Hardware Secrets did a review on the 600W StealthXStream and the reviewer found that the ripple was within spec (abelit quite high, close to the 120mV but not over)

Here's the Hardware Secret's review: OCZ StealthXStream 600 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets
Old March 6, 2009, 05:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I am not a big fan of Multiple Rail Cards....
Don't get me wrong there are good OCZ models out there, but I think a solid Single rail solution will do you good.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 6, 2009, 05:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
A Corsair HX520 would be perfect for you IMO. It would even give you room for future expansion as well and won't break the bank.

However, the HX620 / TX750 option is good as well.

I would second sky's suggestion. I have the HX620 and couldn't be happier with it. I know that I am looking at the HX520 myself for a new HTPC build that I'm planning.

Old March 6, 2009, 06:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just a note OCZ=PCPNP; same company; same units. :)
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 6, 2009, 06:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The problem is that Ultra lost the one voice they had for proper PSU production. Their quality went through the roof when he came on board and have now fallen flat...again. I have seen it with review samples they have tried to send my way and the way of other capable reviewers. There was a time when they were well on the way of repairing their reputation and now? Forget it; they are back to el cheapo Wintech units with shoddy QA.

Now BFG is using the guy Ultra lost and you can see what kind of positive effect that had on their PSU lineup.

Heya Sky, LSP750 Manufactured in May 2008 , UL comes back as Andyson International Co Inc. , ULTRA X3 600W comes back the same.
When did they switch?
Maybe mine are too old?

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old March 6, 2009, 07:12 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

If the Corsair 520HX is a little too rich for your blood then the 550VX is a little cheaper:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=25...acture=Corsair

I have this one running the folding rig in my sig 24/7 (2 video cards).
41A on the 12v rail.
Fold for team #54196
Old March 6, 2009, 08:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I love the single rail horsepower the Corsair Lineup has Chrisk.
Again, I ran a lot more than I expected off a 400w.

ST

Old March 6, 2009, 08:15 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Service is very good with Corsair as well. They also have many reps on the forums (including the NCIX board)
Fold for team #54196
Old March 10, 2009, 06:09 AM
Rookie

Hey all, thanks for the suggestions! I have a 550vx on the way now, didn't think modular with really worth $30 when I can just pick up some zip ties and use a little ingenuity.
Old March 10, 2009, 01:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Honestly if your planning a new build in a year why not look at a corsair 620 modular or the TX750? their on sale right now for a decent price after MIR, Directcanada has them on for 108 after MIR for the TX750 and they will more then handle a dual GPU build. unless your planning on keeping this build together when you goto build the new rig in a year id look at just getting a decent PSU now and reusing it in the next build instead of buying 2 pricy PSUs.

I myself just cant get behind ultra either, not when corsair is time and time again proven quality.

If you dont want to get a bigger psu for the future wouldnt the Corsair VX450 with its single 32amp rail work for a 4830? if not the TX650w is only $15 more then the VX550 on directcanada and bother are under $100 after MIR.

Corsair TX650W 650W Atx 12V 52A 24PIN Atx Power Supply Active Pfc 120MM Fan - DirectCanada <-- TX650

Corsair VX550W 550W ATX 12V 41A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan - DirectCanada <-- VX550

Corsair VX450 450W ATX 12V 33A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan - DirectCanada <-- VX450
Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 140MM Fan - DirectCanada <-- TX750