Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 8, 2009, 08:33 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default Enermax RMA in Canada?

I narrowed down to Corsair 1000HX and the Enermax Revolution85+ 1050W. Both grear PSUs, but the Enermax seems to have amazing efficiency numbers. The Corsair is about $40 less, but in this price range and important component, that is secondary.

I am thinking I might get an Enermax Revolution85+ PSU but I have been reading horrible stories on the nets about their RMA in Canada. I even found a post at NCIX from back in 2007 where Sky tells everyone that Enermax is not recommended in Canada.

Anyone know much about their RMA in Canada? Any info would be appreciated!

BTW I checked the "Cdn RMA" thread and did not find anything for Enermax PSUs...
Fold for team #54196
Old March 8, 2009, 08:45 AM
Banned
F@H

I've had to RMA an older 625w as well as my galaxy 1000w...

In Canada, RMAs are handled by a company outsdie the Enermax circle. I could problably go through my papers and tell you who exactly...but anyway, both times I waited a mere two weeks for my replacements.

The 625w blew with a short, tripped the house breaker even, got a new psu, no questions. This was 9 working days.

The 1000w I got back the same PSU, repaired(had low 5v line), took 11 working days.

While this is all fine and dandy, you should see the insides of my galaxy...Unless the new EVO line is put together a whole lot better, I have no further interest in Enermax.

Find some reviews that pull the psu apart...J Guru's reviews are pretty exceptional...
Old March 8, 2009, 09:02 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Good to hear that you had no issues with Enermax RMA. I have since found another Sky review where he mentions that the Enermax Cdn supplier promised a better RMA procedure. Anyone elses thoughts are also appreciated (you out there Sky?? :) )

I read the jonnyGuru review on the 1000HX. Needless to say they loved it, like everyone else. No Revolution85+ reviews yet, but in their forum Oklahoma Wolf says he is currently reviewing a sample and is now doing the writeup. Currently going through his thread trying to get some hints as to his conclusions, but they won't stop going OT on how tall the forum members are...lol
Fold for team #54196
Old March 8, 2009, 01:53 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Well, I stopped dithering and picked up the Enermax Revolution85+ 1050W. From what I read its a very good PSU, and most of the forums I have seen rate it above the Corsair 1000HX (mostly because it is very, very efficient). Corsair's support and warranty made it a virtual tie though in my books, but I am still happy with my decision. Picked the PSU up at Canada Computers (when the guy at the checkout asked who helped me, I told them kruzn4evr helped me lol...)

I'll send encorp a PM to see if he still wants the 620HX as a sale or a trade as he is looking at that 620HX for the modular cables...I'll use his 750TX or the cash from the sale to help my dad out if needed.

Thanks for the help guys...with all this extra power, perhaps I'll have to put another GTX 285 in there instead of a 9800GT.....
Fold for team #54196
Old March 13, 2009, 12:07 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default Coolermaster HAF 932 and Enermax Revolution85+ 1050W

I have moved from my Antec 900 / Corsair 620HX combo to a Coolermaster HAF 932 / Enermax Revolution85+ 1050W setup.

So far, these are the differences after about 16 hours of observation;
(Used Everest for CPU and Motherboard temps, and Evga Precision for GPU. All temps taken while working on Project 5902/1680 point WU for GPU, and Project 2653/1760 point WU for CPU with 80% resources allocated to the SMP client).

1. CPU temps have gone down about 4c degrees on each of the 4 cores on the Q6600. (Went from 42-46c to 36-42c across cores).

2. Motherboard ambient temps 5c degrees higher on the Gigabyte EP35-DS3P. (36c to 41c)

3. GTX 285 GPU (702 core/1760 shaders/1323 mem, 55% fan speed) went up 6c degrees (from 58c to 64c.)

4. Watts being pulled, as measured by my APC UPS, went from 351w(min)-375w(max), to 334w(min)-347w(max). This while working on the FaH tasks above.

I realize this is not scientific in any way but just my experiences.

Factors such as different fans in each case, better cable management in the HAF, intake fan on the Revolution85+ facing downwards, etc all played factor.

The HAF is much, much quieter; however the 900's fans were all on high. The CPU HSF cut-out on the MB tray also fit pretty well with the motherboard, so I will not have to remove the board to change the heatsink if desired.

Overall, pretty happy with this. I will probably get an Antec Spot-Cool to bring down the GPU temps a bit, but the extra room alone and cable management made the change worth it.
Fold for team #54196
Old March 13, 2009, 12:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Overall, pretty happy with this. I will probably get an Antec Spot-Cool to bring down the GPU temps a bit, but the extra room alone and cable management made the change worth it
...and an I7...X58 Board ...DDR3....2nd 285.....it never ends!

Old March 13, 2009, 12:47 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
...and an I7...X58 Board ...DDR3....2nd 285.....it never ends!
You are reading my mind (a short read for sure....)
Fold for team #54196
Old March 13, 2009, 12:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ok...you just have to convince the boss (wife), how crappy her old PC is (if she doesn't have one convince her of the benefits) and that you can put together a real "snappy" one for her (with your "recycled" stuff of course)......boom....your in!!! hahahahahaha

Oh...and always "play the hero" when she has a PC problem...."Honey...I can fix it (wait till she's gone before you "reformat and install")...."See honey how handy it is having a "PC Geek" around?".........

Old March 13, 2009, 01:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Ok...you just have to convince the boss (wife), how crappy her old PC is (if she doesn't have one convince her of the benefits) and that you can put together a real "snappy" one for her (with your "recycled" stuff of course)......boom....your in!!! hahahahahaha

Oh...and always "play the hero" when she has a PC problem...."Honey...I can fix it (wait till she's gone before you "reformat and install")...."See honey how handy it is having a "PC Geek" around?".........

Ahaha or do what my buddy did; at Xmas he bought a bunch of computer stuff for himself and wrapped it and put it under the tree and in his stocking with name tags saying it was from ME!. Then on Xmas morning he opened it and acted all surprised! When his wife called and asked why I bought him more computer crap I had to act swift and be like "ooh it was old stuff I had and uhh, didn't want it so I packed it up and told him to put it under the tree". Haha worked like a charm! She still thinks I gave it to him years later; and we're concidering doing it again this next xmas! LOL
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 13, 2009, 01:50 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
Ahaha or do what my buddy did; at Xmas he bought a bunch of computer stuff for himself and wrapped it and put it under the tree and in his stocking with name tags saying it was from ME!. Then on Xmas morning he opened it and acted all surprised! When his wife called and asked why I bought him more computer crap I had to act swift and be like "ooh it was old stuff I had and uhh, didn't want it so I packed it up and told him to put it under the tree". Haha worked like a charm! She still thinks I gave it to him years later; and we're concidering doing it again this next xmas! LOL

you are my HERO loll