Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 3, 2009, 01:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ultra is TD's homebrand; it may be made by such and such a company but I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it to be honest.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 3, 2009, 01:30 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Then again, if jonnyguru gave it a 9.5/10, I'd trust it.
Old March 3, 2009, 01:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I trust the X3s. Not some of the older Ultras. Vortex loves his X3 1KW ,and I was going to get one but fell short on cash.

I like the looks of that enermax revolution, but DC-DC technology is still too new and expensive.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old March 3, 2009, 01:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Why do you link this again. Would you run a folding rig 24/7 as such? X2s or not, it's borderline (past borderline for me) for the 620, especially since members aer willing to go for a straight trade.
It depends on what rig I'm running. If it's powering my rig in sig with a GTX285 and 9800GT and running GPU and SMP folding like the OP, I'd keep the HX620. Even if I don't keep it, I'll try it out first for say a week to make sure that it's stable.
Old March 3, 2009, 01:55 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I know the X3 is a fine unit, and if one of those went for very cheap or magically dropped into my lap I would have no issues using it.

However, the jonnyGuru review is from 2007 and who knows if Ultra has changed any of the specs. I know that they had some issues with 750W PSUs actually just being re-labeled 550Ws: [H] Enthusiast --- www.hardocp.com

Ultra did blame this on the OEM who made the unit, and has offered an exchange for people affected, and the OEM is also not Andyson who makes the X3. However this still does not bode well for purchasers like me if their high-end product is the same price range as Enermax or Corsair. (BTW I am not trying to crap on STs recommendation as I do appreciate his advice and time to give it ) I just wanted to mention why buying from them is uneasy for me, especially in a high end unit.
Fold for team #54196
Old March 3, 2009, 03:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Incidents from Ultra had struck a sense of mistrust into users. If they're the same price, then I would definitely go nuts towards Corsair or Enermax

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old March 3, 2009, 06:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The X3 Should still be made my Andyson, I'll check my UL number and CSA number tommorow on the work Database and see.
I know my LSP series is.
The biggest issue people have with ultra is the debacle of the X2 series.
But that was a different OEM.
Andy has been around for a long time, and their platforms are solid.
Again, I only make the suggestion because of the Customer service, and the trouble free operation I've had.
Anything, made my man can fail.
To each their own,

Good Luck,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 3, 2009, 06:47 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Thanks ST...appreciated!
Fold for team #54196
Old March 4, 2009, 11:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Okay, just to remove some Bias in my suggestions.
I found a PSU that makes me Drool, but is damn expensive.
No idea on the OEM, but I'm digging (My OEM Is ANDY but I'd need to find a new one to confirm this is still true)..

Try this one if you Dare lol!!!! The Decathalon has 80A on a Single Rail. That'll feed anything.

Silverstone Decathlon DA1000 ATX 1000-Watt Power Supply - Modular in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

Silverstone Strider ST1000 ATX Modular 1000-Watt Power Supply in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

Regards,
ST

P.S. I'm even tempted right now....

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com

Last edited by Soultribunal; March 4, 2009 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Link change
Old March 4, 2009, 11:32 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Those Silverstones are a little out of my price range...approx $400 each. Right now I have narrowed it down to the Enermax Revolution 1050W, Corsair 1000HX, or a straight-up trade if still available. If my dad needs a PS then I'm buying a new one for sure...if not its a toss-up as I can't decide.

I was thinking of a Case or going i7 in the spring...buying a $300 PSU is a tough one for me...a trade might be the smartest thing, but I have read sooo many purdy reviews of the Revolution...
Fold for team #54196