Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 2, 2009, 08:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

as everyone else has said, why chance it? especially if he has people willing to do a straight trade. It would make no sense to chance it. Psu's do not just take out themselves...
Old March 2, 2009, 09:48 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Corsair HX620W Power Supply Running 791W - Can't Break It!! : Cases, Power Supplies, and Cooling

It survived 4870X2 in CrossfireX. It was pulling 791W from the wall, but the system wasn't stable, however it was able to boot normally. In the end, yes it can handle another video card.
I can't find it right now, but wasn't there an old post on the NCIX forums by Yellowbeard in which he claimed he ran three GX2's on one of those Corsairs...

Old March 3, 2009, 03:08 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Corsair HX620W Power Supply Running 791W - Can't Break It!! : Cases, Power Supplies, and Cooling

It survived 4870X2 in CrossfireX. It was pulling 791W from the wall, but the system wasn't stable, however it was able to boot normally. In the end, yes it can handle another video card.
Why do you link this again. Would you run a folding rig 24/7 as such? X2s or not, it's borderline (past borderline for me) for the 620, especially since members aer willing to go for a straight trade.
Old March 3, 2009, 04:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

And considering that the PSU is not Biased when it takes out connected Hardware, I wouldn't chance it.
They will Warranty the PSU sure...but what of the other stuff that gets cooked...?

I think get a bigger one and be safe.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 3, 2009, 05:08 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
as everyone else has said, why chance it? especially if he has people willing to do a straight trade. It would make no sense to chance it. Psu's do not just take out themselves...
Yeah this is my thinking as well. This is a great PSU for sure, and there is a reason why it is so expensive. However if there is any doubt as to if it can handle the load, then one should not proceed, especially if it will be folding most of the time.

I am just looking to see if I should purchase a bigger PSU...I am checking out the finances first before talking to the guys who offered a trade.
Fold for team #54196
Old March 3, 2009, 05:27 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I would jump on one of those PSU trades in a blink. The TX750W can handle dual 280s...
Old March 3, 2009, 11:45 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I am considering buying a new PSU for my main rig, and moving the 620HX to my folding rig. Then I can give my 550VX to my dad who may need one, but cannot afford to purchase a PSU. I have not made up my mind yet on this.

As often happens when I consider a minor upgrade, I start thinking big.

Would you guys choose the Enermax Revolution 1050W or the Corsair 1000HX?

NCIX.com - Buy Corsair HX1000W CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX 20/24PIN ATX 80A 12V Afc Modular Power Supply W/ 140MM Fan - CMPSU-1000HX In Canada.
NCIX.com - Buy Enermax ERV1050EWT REVOLUTION85+ 1050W ATX12V 24PIN & PCI-E Ready Power Supply - ERV1050EWT-00 In Canada.

I know its waaaay more than I need now. I can get the Corsair for about $40 less with rebate at Canada Computers, and their customer service is excellent. The Enermax seems to have better efficiency numbers, which I believe may be good for a 24/7 folding environment though. Or do you think I will not stress these PSUs enough to have the efficiency matter?

Any thoughts on this?
Fold for team #54196
Old March 3, 2009, 12:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Ultra X3 ULT40311 1000-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, PCI-E Ready, Energy Efficient, Modular in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

Or this one lol!

Johnny Guru Gave it a 9.5/10.
It doesn't mind either if your case gets ultra Hot, and its fully modular.
Cheaper than the Corsair at NCIX too.
The only notable difference is the Corsair gets 80a on the 12V rail, and the Ultra gets 70A.

Just, putting my plug in there lol!

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old March 3, 2009, 12:49 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Ultra X3 ULT40311 1000-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, PCI-E Ready, Energy Efficient, Modular in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

Or this one lol!

Johnny Guru Gave it a 9.5/10.
It doesn't mind either if your case gets ultra Hot, and its fully modular.
Cheaper than the Corsair at NCIX too.
The only notable difference is the Corsair gets 80a on the 12V rail, and the Ultra gets 70A.

Just, putting my plug in there lol!

ST
Thanks ST! It comes in at the same price as the Corsair, but in my honest opinion Corsair is a far more reputable company than Ultra. I know Ultra has a couple of very good products (depending on the OEM who makes the unit), but I really don't trust Ultra for a component such as this.
Fold for team #54196
Old March 3, 2009, 12:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

No worries, I always give the option when I make my suggestions.
I know Corsair is good, but so is Ultra in my eyes.
Their X3's and LSP series are all made my Andyson Int.
Server Grade stuff which is nice.
To each their own though, good luck on the Hunt.

ST