Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 22, 2009, 11:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Another question

I'm looking at getting a phenom for my htpc to use for boinc. The only problem, is that my case can only fit tiny psu's. The one thats in it right now is 275W. I went onto eXtreme Outer Vision - eXtreme tools for computer enthusiasts and calculated that if i used a 1.4 vcore on the phenom (just to be safe) and with my asus 3450, i would be using 205W at 90% load. Do you think that PSU will handle that?
Old February 22, 2009, 11:41 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

What's the stock voltage on the phenom? Why overvolt it?
Old February 22, 2009, 12:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
I'm looking at getting a phenom for my htpc to use for boinc. The only problem, is that my case can only fit tiny psu's. The one thats in it right now is 275W. I went onto eXtreme Outer Vision - eXtreme tools for computer enthusiasts and calculated that if i used a 1.4 vcore on the phenom (just to be safe) and with my asus 3450, i would be using 205W at 90% load. Do you think that PSU will handle that?
I don't trust those psu calculators ever and will say with that 275 in that case that your going to be possibly very close to the limit of that psu.
Old February 22, 2009, 12:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

squeetard, its 1.1, but I would overclock it, so, I thought that I would be better off to play it safe, and give myself a decent buffer.
Enaberif: Thats what I was thinking about being close....... And why don't you trust psu calculators?
Old February 22, 2009, 12:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
squeetard, its 1.1, but I would overclock it, so, I thought that I would be better off to play it safe, and give myself a decent buffer.
Enaberif: Thats what I was thinking about being close....... And why don't you trust psu calculators?
Because they are never accurate or really representative of power usage.

Even Skymtl has said on numerous times to never trust them.