Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 26, 2009, 01:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default EMI Filtering

Well it's not really power supply related but more so just power in general...

Basically I need something, be it a surge suppressor or a UPS or whatever else, that will filter out EMI. The issue is that my speakers have this annoying buzz to them whenever the dimmer switches are set lower than maximum.

Maybe replacing the dimmer switches would help but I don't know. They are fairly new though.

I've seen some surge suppressors from Belkin and Monster which claim to have EMI filtering per outlet but I have no idea if they work.
Old January 26, 2009, 01:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

So you want to hook your speakers up to something that will filter out the EMI?
I know that all (or almost all) Electronic devices follow a very simple guildline.

CE is usually marked on everything stating that;

"This unit must not cause harmful interference, and this unit must accept all forms of interference, including that which may cause undesired operation"

That being said, I don't know if there is a way to 'shield' your speakers from it. Perhaps replacing the switch is the best course of action, seeing as how you feel it is causing this problem. The same thing happens to my speakers when my Blackberry does anything period. Never had an issue with lighting doing it though.

Anyways, my thoughts/experiences with it at least.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 26, 2009, 01:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have power filters on both my home theatre and my computer- we hav epretty dodgy power at our place in the boonies- regular brown outs.

I have a monster power filter that I use for my HT, which I got for about 220, but the one for my PC is really cheap and probably just about as good- it's a belkin pureAV PF30 and it's only 100 bucks at Xpress canada.

Xpress Canada - Power Supplies/Management > Home Theatre Power : Belkin PureAV Home Theater Power Console PF30 (AP20800fc08-BLK).

Another option might be an EMI ring - I'm not sure how available these are, but I got one with a lascala HTPC case, and the instructions say that if you pass the wires through it, it will cut out emi passively. Looks like a little hoop magnet.

But to answer your question, I do think that a power filter would take care of your problem and protect your system although there is debate about the true benefits of these filters.
Old January 26, 2009, 02:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

I know it'll be a pain in the ass but perhaps try another outlet.

Sounds like the outlet you use is on the same circuit as the dimmer switch.
Old January 26, 2009, 03:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I know it'll be a pain in the ass but perhaps try another outlet.

Sounds like the outlet you use is on the same circuit as the dimmer switch.
Yes it is and well the only other outlet in my room is hooked up to the washer and some other plugs else where (no idea who the hell wired this place up). However doing that would mean using an extension cord which I'm not a huge fan of doing.

But yeah it's definitely related to the dimmer switch as when I go and dim the lights in the other room (which is also on my circuit) the buzzing becomes apparent. Same thing if I dim the lights in my room as well.

And I tried those ferrite core things on all my speaker wires which didn't do anything.

I was looking at this: Canada Computers - Power Supplies/Management > Home Theatre Power : Belkin PureAV Isolator Home Theater Surge Protector - 8 Outlet (F9A833fc08).
Quote:
PFT uses varying power filter levels to isolate and contain power line noise within individual pairs of receptacle banks. It provides the highest-quality protection available from overvoltages, and safeguards your sensitive home entertainment components from power line contamination, known as electromagnetic interference (EMI) and radio frequency interference (RFI).
And this Xpress Canada is clearly a sister of Canada Computers as they have the same head office address however I don't think I'd order from them since CC is horrible with online orders...
Old January 27, 2009, 06:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

My mistake on the first one, I was assuming they were on seperate circuts and you were getting Interferance in that regard.

A lot of UPS will provide 'cleaner' power, but you'd have to do some digging to find one thats right for you.
Everything is dependent on how much interference is being filtered...

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 27, 2009, 06:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
And this Xpress Canada is clearly a sister of Canada Computers as they have the same head office address however I don't think I'd order from them since CC is horrible with online orders...
Yes- unfortunately, while their prices are very low, their service is almost non-existent: no invoice, no confirmation of order, no receipt, slow processing and shipping. I would only order from them if I was not in a hurry, and NCIX didn't have the same item that I could price match (and NCIX doesn't have many power filters.
Old January 27, 2009, 10:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I know that when ever I have had a low buzzing sound on any of my stereo equipment be it car or house hold it always ended up being a ground issue if you can find a better or separate ground try it I am sure that will solve your buz sound
Old January 27, 2009, 03:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I know that when ever I have had a low buzzing sound on any of my stereo equipment be it car or house hold it always ended up being a ground issue if you can find a better or separate ground try it I am sure that will solve your buz sound
Well, in theory, my whole basement is grounded to the main water pipe. And my current surge suppressor says the ground is fine. If my PC was upstairs I could see that being an issue since there's no ground. And IMO it's not a low buzzing, its clearly audible over my PC (S-FLEX "F" on my radiator).

So are those surge bars w/ filtering useless? So basically I'm going to need to spend at least a $100 on an actual power filter to fix my issue unless I can somehow figure out a "better quality" dimmer switch but since there's 4 of them that would need to be replaced the cost would probably end up being the same.
Old January 29, 2009, 07:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well now I see a ton of surge suppressors have EMI filtering of sorts so I don't think it's going to help my problem and I think mine actually does already too...

Now I know everybody hates Monster but what do you guys think about this?
FlatScreen PowerCenter™ HTFS 500 with High Definition Video Filters

However I don't know if I'd plug my speakers + LCD into it or my speakers + PC...

I don't notice/have any issues with my LCD so I doubt this would make my picture sharper by any means

Oh one more thing, what if I plugged my current surge suppressor into that Monster thing and have my speakers plugged in directly? Should work right? Then everything would be protected and supplied with clean power.