Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old January 7, 2009, 01:20 PM
zlojack's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,057

My System Specs

Default Am I going to have enough juice for tri-SLI?

My system is in my sig.

My planned upgrade is tri-SLI GTX 285s for a gaming and folding monster, but it looks like I might not have enough juice for three cards.

My watercooling consists of 2 loops with 6 Scythe fans and two MCP655 pumps. I was thinking about adding a third pump for a small chipset loop, but that might not be on the cards now if my PSU isn't up to the task of tri-SLI.

Anyone have any thoughts?
__________________
[SIZE=3]
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old January 7, 2009, 01:40 PM
Cptn Vortex's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,726
Default

Yea you will be cutting it pretty close... The Corsair is a great PSU, but with the WC gear it might get pushed pretty close to its max, which is something you dont want to do...
__________________
The Vortex H20

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old January 7, 2009, 01:50 PM
zlojack's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,057

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex View Post
Yea you will be cutting it pretty close... The Corsair is a great PSU, but with the WC gear it might get pushed pretty close to its max, which is something you dont want to do...
Well...that officially sucks!

So regular SLI then ?
__________________
[SIZE=3]
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old January 7, 2009, 02:23 PM
geokilla's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,615

My System Specs

Default

Tri SLI will work fine. I remember Legit Reviews was benching their 2 4870X2 with a Corsair HX620, and it was pulling 791W from the wall. Of course, it wasn't enough to successfully complete the bench, but the system never blew up or anything of that sort.

May I ask why you're using Tri-SLI if you're only gaming on a 24" monitor? SLI GTX285 or a GTX295 would be more than enough, and if you feel like saving money, just one GTX285 would be enough. Besides, I don't think they're that much different from your GTX260 Core 216, unless I'm thinking of a different GPU.

And finally, if you want best bang for buck for folding, the 9600GSO with 384/768MB, 96 shaders are the way to go.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old January 7, 2009, 02:34 PM
zlojack's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,057

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Tri SLI will work fine. I remember Legit Reviews was benching their 2 4870X2 with a Corsair HX620, and it was pulling 791W from the wall. Of course, it wasn't enough to successfully complete the bench, but the system never blew up or anything of that sort.

May I ask why you're using Tri-SLI if you're only gaming on a 24" monitor? SLI GTX285 or a GTX295 would be more than enough, and if you feel like saving money, just one GTX285 would be enough. Besides, I don't think they're that much different from your GTX260 Core 216, unless I'm thinking of a different GPU.

And finally, if you want best bang for buck for folding, the 9600GSO with 384/768MB, 96 shaders are the way to go.
Thanks. I think I'll test it out and see how it goes. The GTX 285 should beat my GTX 260 Core 216.

As for why...there are a few reasons:

1) E-peen
2) Folding
3) Gaming with EVERYTHING maxed
4) I am not going to be upgrading again for a while and this will give me some overkill
5) Benching


I suppose the other option to maximize folding would be to do SLI 285s and then use a 9600 for folding and PhysX.

We'll see what happens when the 285s hit. I am also thinking about going to 30" in the future.
__________________
[SIZE=3]
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old January 7, 2009, 03:03 PM
LCB001's Avatar
Folding Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Aylmer QC.
Posts: 1,774

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
And finally, if you want best bang for buck for folding, the 9600GSO with 384/768MB, 96 shaders are the way to go.
Those have been the best bang for the buck cards so far but with WU's getting ever larger and more complex I think they will struggle like they do with the 511pt WU's. To equal one GTX 285 you would need three GSO's, I would rather have one big/fast card than multiple weaker cards. If you only have one rig, starting with one powerfull card leaves your options open for later...
__________________
Folding For Team 54196

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old January 7, 2009, 04:06 PM
magictorch's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Annapolis Valley, NS
Posts: 1,835
Default

lol I think you may just manage that! But I doubt you will keep those cards long when the GT300's show up later in the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlojack View Post
As for why...there are a few reasons:

3) Gaming with EVERYTHING maxed
Anyway I think a 1000w will be fine if a CorsairTX750watt is more than enough for GTX280 SLI with a quad and loads of watercooling.
__________________
White Night:: i7920 (4ghz), Rampage III extreme (A1), Mushkin XP 1600 (9,9,9,24),SLI480., white MM horizon.
CPU: Feser 220 int.|Apogee GTZ|S.Res.rev2| MCP655.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old January 7, 2009, 06:54 PM
zlojack's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,057

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictorch View Post
lol I think you may just manage that! But I doubt you will keep those cards long when the GT300's show up later in the year.



Anyway I think a 1000w will be fine if a CorsairTX750watt is more than enough for GTX280 SLI with a quad and loads of watercooling.
Don't say that! My wallet is on life support as it is!

Let's see what happens with the GT300...there is supposed to be another in between at about summer time, so I'll skip that for sure!
__________________
[SIZE=3]
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old January 7, 2009, 07:06 PM
geokilla's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,615

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post
Those have been the best bang for the buck cards so far but with WU's getting ever larger and more complex I think they will struggle like they do with the 511pt WU's. To equal one GTX 285 you would need three GSO's, I would rather have one big/fast card than multiple weaker cards. If you only have one rig, starting with one powerfull card leaves your options open for later...
Well I haven't gotten any 511 point WUs lately on my 9600GT...been getting all 384 and 353 point WUs. However, the 9600GSO is faster than 9600GT in folding due to the extra shaders.

For the 511 point WUs, I should get around 2300PPD. Now if I remember correctly, a 9600GSO gets more than that on a 511 point WU. Not sure if it's the same WU, but it definitely cranks out more points than my 9600GT.

@zlojack. I like that idea. Dual SLI than a 9600GSO? Or you can just wait for the next gen cards......:D
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old January 7, 2009, 07:17 PM
zlojack's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,057

My System Specs

Default

We'll see.

The Corsair guys seem pretty confident that it can handle tri-SLI. I guess I'll have to wait and see how power-hungry the 285 really is
__________________
[SIZE=3]
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes