Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 23, 2008, 10:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Can I use two Power Supplies?

I recently got a free mobo, and since I have a 4870 laying around, I want to use it in my system. Can I use two OEM power supplies (one is PowMax, 400W, the other is LiteOn, 300W) and somehow use them both together to power my system and a 4870 using adapters?
Old December 23, 2008, 11:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yes.

Worth it? No.

To many headaches.
Old December 23, 2008, 11:46 PM
Allstar
F@H

As enaberif said, you can use two PSUs. As long as they don't vary too much in what their actual voltage output is, you shouldn't have a problem (coming from someone who has never tried it before). To get them both to turn on when you turn your PC on, you would have to solder the green cable from the ATX power cable and one ground to the green cable on the other ATX power cable and one ground from there. I would suggest using one for all of the main hardware (the motherboard, gpu and cpu cables) and all the extra stuff, fans, hard drives, dvd drives on the second PSU. That way you would help prevent a lot of potential headaches.
Old December 23, 2008, 11:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I kind of just did it, and what I'm doing is the old fashioned paperclip method on my second PSU, and since theres a switch at the back of the PSU, I power up the main system, which is powered by the main PSU, and the second PSU gets turned on by flipping the switch. Really ghetto, I know, but this'll have to do till tomorrow, since I'm getting a relay and following this: Speedy 3D

Oh, and btw, my system is running fine right now, with the 4870 being powered by the second PSU.
Old December 24, 2008, 12:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
I kind of just did it, and what I'm doing is the old fashioned paperclip method on my second PSU, and since theres a switch at the back of the PSU, I power up the main system, which is powered by the main PSU, and the second PSU gets turned on by flipping the switch. Really ghetto, I know, but this'll have to do till tomorrow, since I'm getting a relay and following this: Speedy 3D

Oh, and btw, my system is running fine right now, with the 4870 being powered by the second PSU.
Yes it'll be fine but its extra noise, extra heat, extra mess.

Better to just save up and get a new PSU.
Old December 24, 2008, 12:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Yes it'll be fine but its extra noise, extra heat, extra mess.

Better to just save up and get a new PSU.
I'm fine with all that, since I set this up just to test my 4870, so those are sacrifices I'll have to take for the time being.
Old December 24, 2008, 01:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I actually tried doing that one time and unforutnately it shorted the wall outlet, so I had to go and reset the breaker. Second time it worked for a little bit and then one PSU went kaput. They were both OEM 400W's, XD.

I see you are now rig-less because your E8400 died. Is that because of the two PSU's?
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old December 24, 2008, 01:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmaPC View Post
I actually tried doing that one time and unforutnately it shorted the wall outlet, so I had to go and reset the breaker. Second time it worked for a little bit and then one PSU went kaput. They were both OEM 400W's, XD.

I see you are now rig-less because your E8400 died. Is that because of the two PSU's?
Nope, my E8400 died about 3 months ago. I'm also rigless because I gave it to my brother, and now I'm awaiting parts for a new rig.

But right now, my system is running fine, see?
Old December 24, 2008, 04:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Wow, I see you even have a cold cathode for the bling factor ?

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old December 24, 2008, 07:12 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRox View Post
As enaberif said, you can use two PSUs. As long as they don't vary too much in what their actual voltage output is, you shouldn't have a problem (coming from someone who has never tried it before). To get them both to turn on when you turn your PC on, you would have to solder the green cable from the ATX power cable and one ground to the green cable on the other ATX power cable and one ground from there. I would suggest using one for all of the main hardware (the motherboard, gpu and cpu cables) and all the extra stuff, fans, hard drives, dvd drives on the second PSU. That way you would help prevent a lot of potential headaches.
Interesting ...

So they would both turn on when the power button on the front is pushed ?