Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 15, 2008, 08:14 PM
Banned

Default Confused about the UPS (not the courier eather mind you).

I am confused about the UPS (not the courier eather mind you). I am talking about them little power storage things that keep your computer going for a limited time if the power goes out. Are thay just a big batery or is there something more to them? Is it possible to just pick up an Eliminator PowerBox 800 from canadian tire and use that. If that is possible what avantages do the UPS have over the powerbox thing?

Thanks
Old December 15, 2008, 08:42 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Are you fast enough to unplug your puter from the wall when the power goes out and plug it into the eliminator before the computer notices any fluctuation? I'm not sure if you can use the eliminator while its charging, or if you might have to flip a switch, either way the UPS offers switching at any fluctuation in voltage, an eliminator would only work in a total outage.

Have an A-1 day!
Old December 15, 2008, 08:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The Key Is to get a UPS that can Match the Max Draw from your computer so that way when the power goes out you have a limited amount of time to get the system down.

I think the ones we use at my work are from APC.
Great little devices that have saved my poor Work Computer many times.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 15, 2008, 10:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

That Eliminater unit is an entirely different animal, actually. For starters, it can't be charged while it's providing power, which automatically disqualifies it from any UPS duties. So this thing is basically useless for UPS duties.

Proper UPS's do many things, including surge protection, power cleanup, and automatic battery backup. Highly recommended for any home PC.
Old December 16, 2008, 05:04 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameplaywarrior View Post
I am confused about the UPS (not the courier eather mind you). I am talking about them little power storage things that keep your computer going for a limited time if the power goes out. Are thay just a big batery or is there something more to them? Is it possible to just pick up an Eliminator PowerBox 800 from canadian tire and use that. If that is possible what avantages do the UPS have over the powerbox thing?

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

I work for a Refurbished UPS company, ExcessUPS.com, a Canadian company specializing in battery backups. I would like to shed some light on UPSs that will hopefully clarify their application a bit.

A UPS is not just a big battery, it is much more than that. A good quality UPS has a battery which it can use to power your equipment in case of power failure. The UPS also regulates and filters power to ensure that the equipment that is plugged into it receives clean power and operates normally.

A UPS will prevent power anomalies from affecting the powered equipment. A lot of power anomalies can affect the operation of a computer, a power sag, a power spike, a surge, a brown out. A good quality UPS will stop all of those from reaching your device.

A lot of equipment failures can be traced back to unstable power. Power supplies can only take so much fluctuation before they get burnt out, and a surge or spike can damage many components inside a computer system. A lot of time those failures are attributed to component failure, but they're really originating at the power input.

When picking a UPS you need to know how much your equipment consumes. For example, an average PC consumes about 250W, an LCD monitor about 35W, a router about 10-15W (approx 300W). Next, you need to determine the size of the UPS you need to provide the desired run time.

Most people use UPSs to provide them enough run time to save their work and safely shut down. Some people like to have a little more power to give them a chance to finish their work. Knowing the total power consumption of your devices, will help you pick the right UPS for the job.

For example, the APC Smart-UPS 700 that we sell, offers 450W / 700VA of protection. With a 300W load, there would be a run time of 12 minutes available. The Smart-UPS 700 is a network grade UPS, offering great power protection, sine wave output, voltage boost and drop, as well as surge and spike protection.

The APC Smart-UPS 1000 offers 670W / 1000VA of protection. It has all of the above features, bigger batteries, and a longer run time. With the SU1000NET, there would be a run time of 25 minutes available at 300W of load.

The APC Smart-UPS 1400 has even bigger batteries and a higher capacity, it offers 950W / 1400VA of protection. This is pretty much the biggest unit you can get on a regular 15A home outlet. This unit would offer 51 minutes of run time at 300W of load.

I work for a refurbished UPS company, we specialize in testing, fixing, refurbishing and providing new batteries with every UPS we sell. We specialize in network grade critical equipment back up. You can buy the above mentioned or similar equipment brand new, it's a little on the expensive side as it's industrial back up.

You can do some research online and find yourself a good deal on new APC SmartUPSs. Also, APC offers lower grade UPSs brand new for a lot cheaper than the network grade ones. But, you get what you pay for, they're a lot smaller and offer a lot less protection.

Online there are many deals available on UPSs, just make sure to do your research. Is the UPS brand new? Is it new overstock that has been sitting on a shelf for 2 years with a dead battery? Is there a warranty? How reliable is the vendor? Those are some basic questions you want to ask while shopping online for a UPS. There are many great vendors and a lot of deals to be had when shopping for UPSs.

Invest the time in doing the research, and you'll get yourself a great UPS that will protect your equipment for a very long time.

If anyone has any questions I would be glad to answer them.

Thank you,
Tony
Refurbished UPS

Last edited by Tony; November 5, 2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old December 16, 2008, 07:12 PM
Banned

Ok so it looks like I need a UPS but I dont know how big I will need it, is there any type of calcatuer or someting so I can find out I would like atlest 20min of run time? I have a 25in LCD @ 110w running 1.5w stand by A Dlink DIR-615 routter; my cable modem (SB101 SURFboard by motorola); 2.1 speekers Creative SBS-340) and the PC its self (specs below)
E8400 @3.6
4G OCZ ram 600mhz@ 2.20v
evga gtx260 core 216 (not oced)
2X samgsung F1 HDDs
optical drive
(fans with an antec 900, antec spot cool, OCZ Vendetta heat sink)

Can anyone help me picking a ups?
Thanks
Old December 16, 2008, 08:47 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameplaywarrior View Post
Ok so it looks like I need a UPS but I dont know how big I will need it, is there any type of calcatuer or someting so I can find out I would like atlest 20min of run time? I have a 25in LCD @ 110w running 1.5w stand by A Dlink DIR-615 routter; my cable modem (SB101 SURFboard by motorola); 2.1 speekers Creative SBS-340) and the PC its self (specs below)
E8400 @3.6
4G OCZ ram 600mhz@ 2.20v
evga gtx260 core 216 (not oced)
2X samgsung F1 HDDs
optical drive
(fans with an antec 900, antec spot cool, OCZ Vendetta heat sink)

Can anyone help me picking a ups?
Thanks

Hey,

How much run time are you hoping to have? Are you looking for a new unit or a refurbished with new batteries? How budget sensitive are you? Are you looking to have a few minutes to save your work and shut down? Is power filtering important for you?

Let me know some more details and I would be glad to make a few recommendations.

Tony,
ExcessUPS.com - Specializing in Refurbished APC Battery Backups
Old December 16, 2008, 09:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

this should suit your needs Future Shop: Computers: Desktop Computer Accessories: APC 1300VA UPS Battery Back-Up With LCD (BX1300LCD-CN)

Old December 16, 2008, 09:26 PM
Rookie

With that unit the run time at the above describe configuration would be close to 3-5 minutes. That particular series of UPSs doesn't even output a sine wave, not as good as a UPS that actually outputs a sinewave. The "XS" series is a cosmetically good looking UPS, more looks than function.

APC BACK-UPS XS 1300VA LCD 120V RETAIL

Tony,
ExcessUPS.com - Refurbished APC UPS

Last edited by Tony; November 5, 2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old December 16, 2008, 09:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

Please remember a UPS isn't designed to keep running your computer after something happens.

Its merely designed to be able to safely shut down your computer in the even of a power loss.