Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 14, 2008, 08:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Add to that the fact that far too many people and all these creepy calculators far over-estimate power needs for most systems as well.
Old December 14, 2008, 09:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Antec Power Supply Calculator

Hey I found the Antec version!!

I agree that we do over estimate the power needs and cost, but I err on the side of caution a psu is a major component of any computer and shouldn't be looked at as a value component. It fails and it could very well take out of the rest of your system with it.

EE

Last edited by Eagle Eye; December 14, 2008 at 09:12 AM.
Old December 14, 2008, 09:02 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Duely Noted.....just thought it would help, but I'm still a rookie to somethings eh?
Just the nature of learning I suppose.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 14, 2008, 09:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The Corsair PSU calculator is great; IF you intend to buy a Corsair PSU :)

Basically; it'll tell you which Corsair is best for your system but that's it lol.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old December 14, 2008, 10:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I cannot agree that any PSU calculator is great. They are biased and they will push you up into a higher wattage unit than ever needed so the profit margain is higher for said company. I would say you could use one for a very generalized starting point but you would need to start a thread to find out the exact proper wattage needed. There is no single GPU/CPU machine on the planet right now that needs more than a 600W power supply and most can easily get by with a GOOD QUALITY 500W with no issues at all. It has nothing to do with wattage and size, it has everything to do with build quality and design.
Old December 14, 2008, 10:54 AM
Allstar

I don't really see much of a need for a PSU calculator. I simply do a quick search for a review on my video card for its power consumption (it's a pain to get the card's power consumption, which is why few reviewers do that; you may have to do some guesswork to figure out the card's power from the full system consumption), then I do a search on my CPU's full system power consumption, ideally both would be used in the same review, otherwise I have to some extra searching. I do some quick math to determine the full load of my system. Generally, they use the highest-end CPUs OCed to 3.6GHz and beyond, so that helps when trying to get an upper-limit for your power consumption.

Then, I estimate 20W per hard drive, which I know is overkill, but I just want to be safe when it comes to HDD spin-up. Multiply the number of fans by 7.5W, which is again overkill for most, unless your fans spin faster than 3000 RPM. On top of that, I add 100-200W so as to avoid putting my power supply under full load. I might add some more based on what hardware I would like to upgrade in the near future.
1x 8800 Ultra --> Sony GDM-FW900 + LVM-37w3se // HT Omega Striker ~ (optical) Pioneer SE-DIR800C ~+ SE-DHP800 / HD 280 Pro
Old March 20, 2009, 11:33 PM
Rookie

eXtreme Power Supply Calculator v2.5
Old March 21, 2009, 04:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I never had faith in those power supply calculators. Just for a laugh, I entered in my current rig in my sig. I added 2 extra sata drives for a raid0 and an external. subbed my 8800gt for 2X280 in sli and BAM!!!!!! I need a power supply which needs more than 900 watts! my spidey sense is tingling...

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old March 21, 2009, 10:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobattle View Post

Well I just tried this one out just to see how close it is. See using my APC Powerchute Pro software I can see how much I am actually pulling in wattage. I was actually surprised to see that this calculator was not too terribly far off.

It was about 100 watts higher than it needed to be. And the thing is that is about what I would buy anyways. I mean you don't want your PSU to be at full capacity all the time.

That said I have nothing wrong with these calculators as a starting point. They can be a good way for someone to get a rough idea of the kind of wattage range they should be looking at. No of course as Sky said you have a much better resource at forums like ours.

Old March 21, 2009, 10:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

LOL!!!!! A power supply calculator you have to buy? What a load of garbage. Everyone should do their best to avoid these types of "programs" at all possible. Even if it manages to come close, I guarantee that it will still way overguesstimate. The PC in my sig pulls about 350-400W full load. By full load I mean running Linpack AND GPU full load test at the same time. You will never see that type of load for any length of time in normal use unless you are one of those crazy folders....