Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 11, 2008, 10:29 PM
Top Prospect

Default OCZ-520 Phenom X4 + HD4850

Hello fellow Canucks, I am in desperate need of your expertise here. In 2005 I purchased an OCZ-520ADJ. I am wondering if this puppy will be able to run my "Phenom X4 9650" on a "MSI K9A2 Platinum" coupled with an HD4850 or 70. Also there will be 2 optical drives, and 4 SATA HDD's in my system. This is a True 520 and its peaks load is at 620W.

Specs are as follows:

DC Output _________+3.3V ___+5V___+12V___-12V___-5V___+5VSB
Max Output Current------28A-----40A------33A------0.5-----0.5A----2.0A
MaxComb Peak Watt----92.4A---150W-----396W-----6W-----2.5W----10W

Also if indeed it turns out that this unit will work I am then to understand that I will need to buy a "2 way-4 pin to 6-pin PCI Express power connector adaptor? If so where I can I find one cheap?

Any advice would be welcomed

Last edited by Nightingale; December 11, 2008 at 10:35 PM.
Old December 12, 2008, 05:58 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Newegg - Power Supply Calculator

Tools like these help us figure out what we possibly need in our Computer.
My Theory is, whatever the site recommends, I add 100W as a buffer Zone for myself.

I've heard Mixed Reviews on the OCZ lineup of Powersupplies, personally speaking the one that I used never failed, but a lot of people who have higher end systems tend not to trust them.
Personally speaking, I would upgrade that Unit to something a little more modern.

Corsair , Ultra , Thermaltake make some decent Power Supply units at good prices with nice warranties. That would be my recommendation.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 12, 2008, 06:26 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Thermaltake Power Supply Calculator

This one here is more complete than the first one I posted.

They are good guidelines but not definitive by any stretch of the imagination.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old December 12, 2008, 09:05 AM
Top Prospect

Calulator is telling me 380W, so even if I add 100 extra it's still around 460W

What I am concerned about is if the 12V rail is good enough?
Old December 12, 2008, 07:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

OCZ has had several lines of PSU's, some were good, others were pretty weak. In theory, you should probably be okay. In practice, between the PSU's age, and the power drawn by the CPU and card (which will rise VERY quickly under any sort of overclocking), and the start-up surge from the HDD's, my vote goes for a new PSU.

Get something good in the 500-650W range, with a pair of PCI-E plugs, and you'll likely run any single-GPU-quad-core system for several years to come, with plenty of room for overclocking (if you decide to).
Old December 12, 2008, 09:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Corsair , Ultra , Thermaltake make some decent Power Supply units at good prices with nice warranties. That would be my recommendation.
Only one that I'd recommend from your choices is Corsair.

Ultra and ThermalTake only have a select few that are actually decent PSUs. The rest are pretty bad.

The decent brands would be Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Antec, Enermax, Seasonic, and Silverstone. Majority of their products are solid but no company is perfect so some products aren't as good as their other ones.

I would suggest buying a Corsair VX550 or VX650. Should give you ample power along with the necessary connectors. I personally dislike using adapters/spliters.
Old December 13, 2008, 05:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Only one that I'd recommend from your choices is Corsair.

Ultra and ThermalTake only have a select few that are actually decent PSUs. The rest are pretty bad.

The decent brands would be Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Antec, Enermax, Seasonic, and Silverstone. Majority of their products are solid but no company is perfect so some products aren't as good as their other ones.

I would suggest buying a Corsair VX550 or VX650. Should give you ample power along with the necessary connectors. I personally dislike using adapters/spliters.
See I suppose this is what can happen sometimes. I have never once, had an issue with an Ultra or a Toughpower. Nor has anyone in my circle. Thats not to say they can't have there problems too. No place is perfect, the saying goes 'If it works, you tell two people, if it fails you tell the world'.

I think that most Later Gen PS in the 500W+ Range are Decent, with the exception of some OCZ ones.

Regards,
ST

Old December 13, 2008, 05:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
See I suppose this is what can happen sometimes. I have never once, had an issue with an Ultra or a Toughpower. Nor has anyone in my circle. Thats not to say they can't have there problems too. No place is perfect, the saying goes 'If it works, you tell two people, if it fails you tell the world'.
Ah ToughPower. Should of just said that cause the rest of ThermalTake's stuff is garbage IMO.