Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 3, 2008, 07:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Need some suggestions

Alright, if all goes as planned, I will be able to get myself my new computer on boxing day. However, I have the mobo already being shipped to me. the problem is that I do not have any power supply to test it with.
I am looking for a PSU that can handle a GTX260 (Core 216 maybe) ad the Gigabyte X48 DS4. Probably going to only have a single HDD and DVD burner, E8400.
The catch, I will only have about $135 with taxes/shipping come this Friday because of my vacation pay.
Thanks for any help.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old December 3, 2008, 07:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Wait for NCIX's sale that starts tonight, always some good deals on PSU's. You should be able to pick up a good 750watt PSU your budget.
Old December 3, 2008, 07:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, keep an eye out for a decent sale. I've been watching the prices on Corsair's HX620 lately and prices have gone through the roof. I suspect the same can be said for all other PSUs.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 3, 2008, 07:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Wait for NCIX's sale that starts tonight, always some good deals on PSU's. You should be able to pick up a good 750watt PSU your budget.
Well, hopefully if there's a good deal it will still be there by Friday, because my bank account is empty until then
Been eyeing the TX750 and the PC Power and Cooling 750W, but I want it in red. Red is awesome :P They USED to be around my price point, but our dollar fails.

Also, a question that may save my ass for the testing. Can I just test it with a 4 pin power connector on an 8 pin board? Just hook up the basics and test it? I swapped out my stock PC's PSU with a barely better one, so I remembered that I have an older 300W PSU lying around somewhere.
Code:
<firebane> slightly used

Old December 3, 2008, 09:15 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You should be able to. The manual should tell you which end to plug it in.

There should be a cover on one side of the 8pin plug, according to page 23 of the manual. If there isn't, plug it in on the side closest to the edge of the mobo.
Old December 3, 2008, 03:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan4ever View Post
Well, hopefully if there's a good deal it will still be there by Friday, because my bank account is empty until then
Been eyeing the TX750 and the PC Power and Cooling 750W, but I want it in red. Red is awesome :P They USED to be around my price point, but our dollar fails.

Also, a question that may save my ass for the testing. Can I just test it with a 4 pin power connector on an 8 pin board? Just hook up the basics and test it? I swapped out my stock PC's PSU with a barely better one, so I remembered that I have an older 300W PSU lying around somewhere.
It's highly likely that the 300w PSU won't have the juice to run the system(due to the GPU). You could try to power it up, and get a loud buzzing from the Video Card. I think i would try and exercise some patience and wait for your new PSU. GL
Old December 3, 2008, 04:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tanker View Post
It's highly likely that the 300w PSU won't have the juice to run the system(due to the GPU). You could try to power it up, and get a loud buzzing from the Video Card. I think i would try and exercise some patience and wait for your new PSU. GL
[/left]
No, no. I don't have any of that. I'm not THAT stupid
I bought the DS4 X48 mobo off a fellow member of HWC, but I have nothing at the moment to test it with when it comes. Going to have to bring it to my Cisco class and test it there, but my teacher doesn't have any higher end PSU's. I was just thinking about the 8 pin power problem, but the manual does say that I can indeed use a 4 pin (Stupid PDF took 10 minutes to load.) I'll probably just use one of his old PCI graphics cards, and whatever else he has. Just a quick test to make sure it did't get wrecked during shipping.
I'm thinking now that I'm either going with the PC P&C Silencer 750W, Corsair TX750, or maybe try out one of those Tagan BZ modular ones. Modular would be REALLY nice because my case has terrible cable managemnt.
Code:
<firebane> slightly used