Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Power Supplies (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/)
-   -   Safe to open? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/12098-safe-open.html)

RCKage November 22, 2008 04:39 PM

Safe to open?

How long is it recommended to leave a PSU unplugged to ensure that any charge has dissipated? Im wanting to open up my new PSU to get my sleeving as far in as possible but I've heard they can hold a charge for some time. Or is that just to scare noobs? Not...that Im....uh....a noob or anything.......:ph34r: lol My PSU has sat on the shelf at work in its box for at least a few weeks......good or no?

odis172 November 22, 2008 05:24 PM

Shut down your computer, Unplug the ac cord from the power supply, then press the power button on the computer. The power supply will attempt to start the computer, thereby draining the capacitors. Press the button 4 or 5 times, waiting a few seconds between each press, just to be safe. You should hear some fans spin a bit on the first press. There may still be some charges left over, so dont go touching any contacts! Use insulated tools, dont ground yourself, and i have even heard of people only using one hand, so if they do get a shock, it wont complete a circuit by going through your chest.

Andy November 22, 2008 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odis172 (Post 116355)
Shut down your computer, Unplug the ac cord from the power supply, then press the power button on the computer. The power supply will attempt to start the computer, thereby draining the capacitors. Press the button 4 or 5 times, waiting a few seconds between each press, just to be safe. You should hear some fans spin a bit on the first press. There may still be some charges left over, so dont go touching any contacts! Use insulated tools, dont ground yourself, and i have even heard of people only using one hand, so if they do get a shock, it wont complete a circuit by going through your chest.

Damn ... now you have me scared .... to think I could have killed myself the last ten times I opened up a PSU. I've always unplugged the psu, and powered on the pc a couple times, and then pulled it out. Never had a problem.

Chilly November 22, 2008 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odis172 (Post 116355)

This sounds about right, if I were you, I'd PM SKYMTL and ask him to be sure. SKYMTL has taken apart numerous PSU's while reviewing them. I would suspect he has some degree of experience and the Do's/Don'ts of taking apart PSU's. Also I just want to make sure your aware that this will void any warranty you may have on the PSU?

That said, as long as you follow the simple instructions of;

Unplug the PSU from wall,
Immediately afterward, press the PC's power button, a couple times to be sure,
Let it sit for a bit,

Once above is said and done and the PSU should be of drained of any "trapped" power in it. You should be perfectly safe after that to fiddle with it now.

Good luck and lets not see you in any newspapers m'kay? :thumb:

enaberif November 22, 2008 07:44 PM

Capacitors can hold a charge for a long time even after being discharged; this is why there is proper ways to discharge them.

I never recommend opening up a PSU unless you ABSOLUTELY need to.