Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 7, 2008, 11:25 PM
MVP

Default 4 molex connectors on one cable

Well my parts finally got here! I'll be starting a build log thread soon and will definitely post my progress. I've been checking back and forth from here and NCIX for days for tips and tricks, as well as input on things. So far I haven't been able to post anything because everybody answered all the questions :(

But now I have a question (yes if you've seen this on NCIX it is my post :p )

First I'll list a couple parts here...
Antec 1200 case
Corsair HX1000w PSU
WD Caviar SE16 640GB
Samsung SH-S223F DVD writer
Rheobus Extreme 6 fan controller 30w/channel

Now, I'm trying to hook up the fans and the power for the hard drive, DVD writer, and fan controller.

I've been trying to figure it out and from what I have learned it is possible to use the cable that comes with the power supply that has 4 (molex I think) connectors on one cable...one every few inches, with an 8 pin power connector on one end that goes to the power supply...to plug in "piggy backed" fans.
Little hard to explain, but I have the 6 fans that came with the Antec 1200 case I'm trying to hook up. Here is a picture...well 2 pictures at different angles (they're big images) trying to display what I mean by the piggy backing and connecting 6 fans on one cable.
ImageShack - Hosting :: fans1wz5.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: fans2fn2.jpg
So as the photos show, there are 3 sets of 2 fans plugged in on the same cable, is that safe/alright?
Final thing to post (sorry for a long post).
The power connections for my fan controller, DVD writer, and hard drive, I have them setup the same way as the fans currently...all 3 of them on one cable (same type of cable as the fans, but not the same cable as the fans.)
Picture of them here:
ImageShack - Hosting :: cables1zm5.jpg
Is this alright as well?
I don't want to overload the cables or anything, or blow anything when I power it up. Not quite ready to, but by Friday hopefully.

Thank you for reading,
Brian.
Old October 8, 2008, 05:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

The Antec Tri-cool fans aren't that bad for power draw, and they're designed to piggy-back like that. 6 of them on a single molex connector shouldn't cause any issues at all. Even if their actual power consumption is strangely excessive for their speed (say, half an amp each), that's still only 3 amps total, which is no cause for concern at all.
Old October 8, 2008, 07:27 AM
Allstar
F@H

tri-cools are .25A at high speed. so times 6 is 1.5A on the 12V line.
HHD & DVD are usually about .5A on the 12V and the same for the 5V. Max.
You could hook them all up to the same output and not worry about overloading or blowing anything.
12V: 1.5+0.5+0.5=2.5A max.
5V: 0.5+0.5=1A max.
Thats about 1/4 of the maximum capacity of the wires.

usually fans get their power from the fan controller though, but I don't know how you have them hooked up,
but either way, no worries.