Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 6, 2008, 11:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Silent PSU

Hey guys, i need a silent PSU for my server. RIght now i'm using my old gamexstream 700W and its got a blue led fan, and is not silent. I would ideally like to trade it for a silent PSU, or buy a new one if i have to. Any idea of what one is? also, is anyone willing to trade me?
Old October 6, 2008, 11:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Is it possible to just find a better fan and stick that in?
Old October 7, 2008, 06:59 AM
Allstar
F@H

I upgraded to the PCP&C 750W Silencer from the GameXstream 700W when mine died, and it was a ton quieter. Despite everyone thinking that an 80mm fan will be louder, it allows for larger heatsinks and is actually quieter. My PC is pretty quiet, 6 Yate Loons in push/pull on my RAD running at ~1000RPM and I cant hear the PSU fan at all unless I put my ear next to it, even under heavy load (Crysis Warhead).

Of course you could always do what MacJunky said and just take appart the PSU are replace the fan with a different one. IIRC the one in there now is rated to ~70CFM and 35-40dbA at full speed, so you should try to get a fan that is similar air movement. I'd recommend the Zalman ZM-F3 as it is the best airflow/noise at any volume, and does just over 70CFM at max speed so it would be adequate to cool the PSU at full speed. Here is a link for it at NCIX: NCIX.com - Buy Zalman ZM-F3 120MM Sleeve Bearing Case Fan Black 900/1800RPM 20/34DBA 3PIN Connector - ZM-F3 In Canada. (You can pricematch it to <$6 if you use shopbot/pricecanada)
Old October 7, 2008, 05:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

ok i think i'll try the new fan. I don't really want to buy a new psu as the one i have is good, just noisier. I was maybe thinking of trading it with someone.. but i don't know...
Old October 7, 2008, 07:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Just be careful if you replace the fan. Make sure the PSU sits for I'd say like 48h before you even open it to ensure the voltage has discharged. Once opened you should still try your best to avoid touching any capacitors directly otherwise you could get shocked rather badly.

Definitely look up some safety stuff cause I don't really know the exact time period you should wait.
Old October 14, 2008, 11:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I replaced the fan in my OCZ Gamextreme with a noctua nf-p12 and it made a world of difference. The psu spinns that fan pretty slow so it is all but inaudible.

To discharge the caps just turn off the switch on the psu while the system is running that will take care of most of the charge. As for the remainder, it should be gone by the time you can get the case off (CSA has rules regarding such things) however you should always treat it as though they are fully charged just incase. In the event you do get a poke it can't hurt you (seriously), maybe a black mark on your finger and enough to make you jump up and down and swear a lot but that's it.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old October 15, 2008, 12:40 AM
Allstar

A silent PSU is one that has no fans. Well, theoretically, a silent PSU is one that doesn't work, since they do variable emit some electrical noise when running. As you can tell, I'm not a big fan of the overuse of the word "silent". But, if you're looking for a fanless power supply:

Silverstone Nightjar 450W
Silverstone Nightjar 300W

There's also the Antec Phantom 500 and 350, FSP Zen, and a few others (see this Google products search) but I haven't seen them for sale in Canada.
1x 8800 Ultra --> Sony GDM-FW900 + LVM-37w3se // HT Omega Striker ~ (optical) Pioneer SE-DIR800C ~+ SE-DHP800 / HD 280 Pro