Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Power Supplies (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/)
-   -   Debunking Power Supply Myths (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/10261-debunking-power-supply-myths.html)

miggs78 September 22, 2008 11:06 AM

Debunking Power Supply Myths

AnandTech: Debunking Power Supply Myths

Must see... :)

SKYMTL September 22, 2008 11:34 AM

The power consumption numbers for both the CPUs and GPUs are doubtful without a full discolsure of the methodology.

sswilson September 22, 2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

About the only reason you should consider anything more is if you want to keep your power supply at a lower load, since optimal efficiency and lower noise levels usually come at around half the rated output. Overclockers might also want a bit of extra headroom. Otherwise, there's really no need for a 1000W power supplies, and certainly not those with even higher ratings.
How's that for an understatement? Pretty well sums it up for me and suggests that a good 600W PSU is probably what most folks should be looking at.

They also don't get into the effects of overclocking on power consumption which from an enthusiast POV is critical.

miggs78 September 22, 2008 12:03 PM

Ok people, I just linked it, coz' it looked interesting, and I wanted to see what the Pros have to say... :P

sswilson September 22, 2008 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miggs78 (Post 91642)
Ok people, I just linked it, coz' it looked interesting, and I wanted to see what the Pros have to say... :P

Heh... no problem. It's a good link, it's just that discussions of PSU's tend to bring out the best of people. :)

DK2 September 22, 2008 01:30 PM

On the whole I wouldn’t disagree with the article.
Would have been nice to know how they got those component power numbers.
The efficiency numbers are about typical.
Nothing on voltage noise rising with load though. Which could vary widely between PSUs, depending on how loose the manufacturer gets with the specs.

Did it really debunk any myths though?

biff September 22, 2008 02:04 PM

How did they get the chipset #'s? Says 37W for P35, if that's right I'm in trouble. My passive cooler get's pretty warm, using the touchy-feely method I was guessing about ~15W. At 37W I should be able to cook eggs.

DK2 September 22, 2008 02:31 PM

I think those numbers are the chipset and the rest of the motherboard parts.
Still, they seem like half guesses rather than actual measurements.
And yet when I use them and add up all my components, its not far off what I see measured on my UPS.
go figure....

cwestwell September 22, 2008 02:53 PM

Nice to know I don't think there was any major revelations there...I look at all the pretty charts and think damn glad I have my HX1000 which brings me to another point the left out several highly accliamed PSU's mostly from Corsair (HX620, TX750,) and They do not do enough comparison between the 500-750 range and the 800-1000watt range to really bring home there point. Besides all this debunking WTF you cant tell anenthusiast he doesnt need a 1000Watt PSU cause its over kill it's like saying you dont need 8GB Ram, a >4.0ghz OC processor, Tri SLI video Cards, Dual Quad Core processors, a triple loop WC, LN2 or Phase Change Cooling. OR IN another field you dont need 700HP to make a car go fast...........we know this but that doesnt mean were not going to do it anyway.

sswilson September 22, 2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwestwell (Post 91708)
Nice to know I don't think there was any major revelations there...I look at all the pretty charts and think damn glad I have my HX1000 which brings me to another point the left out several highly accliamed PSU's mostly from Corsair (HX620, TX750,) and They do not do enough comparison between the 500-750 range and the 800-1000watt range to really bring home there point. Besides all this debunking WTF you cant tell anenthusiast he doesnt need a 1000Watt PSU cause its over kill it's like saying you dont need 8GB Ram, a >4.0ghz OC processor, Tri SLI video Cards, Dual Quad Core processors, a triple loop WC, LN2 or Phase Change Cooling. OR IN another field you dont need 700HP to make a car go fast...........we know this but that doesnt mean were not going to do it anyway.

In fairness, I don't think it's directed at enthusiasts buying habits. It's directed more towards their suggestions when other folks (who will never open their case let alone overclock the cpu or gpu) are looking for advice.

Unfortunately it muddies the water a bit for those folks by not focusing on quality vrs high amperage claims. It's much more important that the great unwashed understand that a $50 700W PSU isn't going to cut the mustard than it is for them to understand that they can probably get by with properly rated 500W PSU.