Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 1, 2008, 02:45 PM
Top Prospect

Default Need to get a Printer

Hey everyone, i hope this is the right section but im looking to buy a cheap, small printer from NCIX.com

What do you reccomend?
Old September 1, 2008, 02:53 PM

My System Specs

how much do you want to spend? and how small is small?

Cheap & small mean nothing really.
Old September 1, 2008, 02:54 PM
Top Prospect

cheap 70-150

small just means not like taking up 1/4 of my desk space
Old September 1, 2008, 03:54 PM
Allstar

We don't know how big your desk is :P

Do you need colour ? If so, will you be printing photos ?
Roughly how much will you print on a monthly basis ?
Do you need scan and copy functions ? Fax function ?
Does it need other features such as networking, duplexing, etc. ?
Old September 1, 2008, 04:13 PM
Top Prospect

Colour i will need, i will be printing pictures but not like a picture quality photo (all glazed and stuff)
I would print quite a bit i would say, but only word documents for school
No fax'ing, but i guess scanning would be a plus
no other features
Old September 1, 2008, 06:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Not sure if NCIX carries them or not, but when I was at Staples they had these new Kodak all-in-ones which had very affordable ink. I don't believe they had fax but you don't need that anyways.

They weren't overly massive either. Fairly compact I suppose. You definitely need to consider the cost of ink though if you're printing a lot.
Old September 1, 2008, 07:25 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Not sure if NCIX carries them or not, but when I was at Staples they had these new Kodak all-in-ones which had very affordable ink. I don't believe they had fax but you don't need that anyways.

They weren't overly massive either. Fairly compact I suppose. You definitely need to consider the cost of ink though if you're printing a lot.
Those Kodak printers are absolute junk, though. We get a lot of them back.

We have the Canon Pixma MP520 on sale for $70 @ Staples ($50 less than NCIX, no shipping, 30 day return policy w/ no restocking fee). That would be my recommendation based on what you said you're looking for.

STAPLES Business Depot | BUREAU EN GROS
NCIX.com - Buy Canon Pixma MP520 2178B002 Up to 30 Ppm 4800 X 1200 DPI Inkjet Photo ALL-IN-ONE Color Printer - 2178B003 In Canada.
Old September 2, 2008, 04:30 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I have an Epson Stylus photo 200 and the thing is a little block of cast iron goodness. It just keeps on going no matter how I abuse or neglect it. When I have neglected it for long enough that the print heads dry up a couple self-cleanings and it is good as new. It prints on DVDs and the drivers are pretty good and it does manual duplexing. I have run everything from tracing paper to card stock through it and the few times it has jammed were usually me loading it wrong. It even prints on business cards even though they are supposed to be too small. Several people I know have various Epsons and they all like them. Of course, just like all inkjets, you have to ration your ink.

NCIX has the Epson Stylus Photo R280 (which I assume it just the latest updated version). It is cheap to begin with and has a MIR if you like those kinds of things.

$0.02