Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2018, 11:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, I'll be buying a PCB with premounted diodes and controller. I'm not into SMD soldering.
Old January 13, 2018, 12:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

can something like a DAS Professional keyboard be upgraded to have LED's?
Old January 15, 2018, 04:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well, I managed to get into a group buy for a DIY 60% kit advertised on Geekhack, even though it had already closed. RGB Kit with switches and ABS backlit caps came to $103 US plus shipping. It should ship early next month.
Old March 1, 2018, 08:40 AM
Trial Member

Thumbs up Keycap response

Keycaps are very expensive because they are actually somewhat difficult to make. The good keycaps you see that are usually around $60-$80 are double shot keycaps which are actually two layers of either pbt or abs plastic (high quality plastic). They mold the bottom layer through the top layer to make the characters visible. The main benefit of this is that the letters will NEVER wear out and the letters are seamlessly built into the keycap.

Because you technically need a different mold for each individual key the economies of scale are completely shot out the window because you are not creating 104 of the same keys in a set you are literally manufacturing 104 separate individual units.

A lot of these high end manufacturers like tai-hao and ducky actually make their keycaps in Taiwan compared to mainland China which is actually a big deal in terms of quality. Taiwan manufacturing and QC is up there with Japanese and German standards, so you can really expect the best out of these expensive keycaps.
Old March 1, 2018, 10:09 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the explanation. I had learned more about keycaps since but never updated the thread.

I received my "kit" as a fully assembled keyboard. They thought they were doing me a favor by assembling it for me. I've been using it as my daily driver at home for about 3 weeks now. The only minor annoyance for me is the lack of the function keys (accessed by holding down the FN key along with the 1-0, -,=) as I use them to switch seats in Battlefield 1 regularly. However, this is more than made up for by the ability to hold my mouse hand much closer to my left hand as I'm finding that a lot more comfortable. I love the weight of the aluminum case as well, it doesn't move at all on my desk.

But it didn't fulfill my expressed desire to do some soldering. So I've ordered a PCB and a cheap plastic case, switches, etc from a bunch of different sources on Aliexpress and Ebay and I'm waiting for them all to show up. I'll see if my Frankenstein keyboard works as well as my IGK61 eventually.
Old April 27, 2018, 10:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

So after waiting a ridiculous amount of time for parts to arrive, I built my own 60% keyboard. I used plate mount Gateron Brown switches in a standard ANSI (North American layout) plate. They just snap into the plate.

After mounting all the switches on the plate and in the PCB holes, it was time to solder.

20 minutes later, it's time to test it before I put it in the case.

6 screws and 61 keycaps later, I have my own custom 60% RGB keyboard!

I'm typing on it now. I didn't realize I'd need some lube for the stabilizers on the big keys so my backspace and one shift key are sticky until I order some. Time picking parts, 3-4 days. Waiting for parts from Ebay and Aliexpress, 5-6 weeks. Building it up, about an hour.
Old April 27, 2018, 11:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Mind posting your parts list? o.o That's pretty much the exact board I want. Are those ABS or PBT keycaps?
Old April 28, 2018, 03:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
Mind posting your parts list? o.o That's pretty much the exact board I want. Are those ABS or PBT keycaps?
Looks great! I'd appreciate the parts list too if you didn't mind, also to get a sense of the price.

EDIT: Oh I see it above. $103 USD. Not a super cheap route, but very nice
i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz (Swiftech H240-X) | ASUS Z97-Pro WiFi | 32GB Patriot Viper 1600MHz | ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Strix | EX920 512GB, MX100 512GB, MX300 2TB, HDD 500GB (x2) | EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Corsair 650D | Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC, USB sound for mic, Sennheiser PC360 SE | Acer Predator X34, BenQ 21.5" | Windows 10 Pro
Old April 28, 2018, 12:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I'd love to see a few more photos taken at a few more angles, I'm currently thinking about replacing my current CMStorm QuickFire, and looking for something that's "minimal-to-borderless/bezelless" like the POK3R v3, but DIY option is also quite appealing to me.
Old April 28, 2018, 01:10 PM

My System Specs

Keyboard does look good.

Don't know how you got it w/ the price so low though.

A few weeks ago I was looking @ DIY 75% keyboard. It would have been nearly $200USD for everything including cherry switches and PBT caps. Ended up cheaping out and just bought parts to fix my old Filco.
Complete
Forever Alone Complete