Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 1, 2017, 11:28 PM
Rookie

Default Xbox 360 controller not connecting to PC?

I recently bought a wireless gaming receiver for a xbox 360 controller. However, I can't seem to get it to connect. I'm not sure if i'm doing something wrong, or if it is because of another cause (it's a cheap receiver bought off ebay). When I insert the disk containing the drivers there is a file called software, which contains a setup.exe and setupstb.exe. When I run setup.exe it says the app can't be installed on my PC and that it doesn't work on this version of windows (I have Windows 10 and the user manual states its for windows 8 and above). When running setupstb.exe it says it's already installed (forgot if i actually have). If any more information is needed, please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf PC Wireless Gaming Receiver User's Manual.pdf (652.3 KB, 9 views)
Old December 2, 2017, 09:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You shouldn't need to install anything on Windows 10, it should just work if it's a decent receiver. I suspect that's where the problem lies...

That being said, if you pickup a new Xbox One controller, they support Bluetooth now, so you can just pair it to your PC (assuming you have BT).
Old December 2, 2017, 10:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You don't need the driver disk on Windows 10.

Go to Device manager--> Right click on the unknown device and do "update driver" (if you have multiple unknown you will need to verify which one) --> "Browse my Computer for Driver software" --> "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer" --> Scroll down to "Xbox 360 peripherals" and select "Xbox 360 wireless receiver for Windows"

Then turn on your xbox controller and pair the receiver with the controller if needed.

Old December 10, 2017, 07:51 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittra View Post
You don't need the driver disk on Windows 10.

Go to Device manager--> Right click on the unknown device and do "update driver" (if you have multiple unknown you will need to verify which one) --> "Browse my Computer for Driver software" --> "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer" --> Scroll down to "Xbox 360 peripherals" and select "Xbox 360 wireless receiver for Windows"

Then turn on your xbox controller and pair the receiver with the controller if needed.
Tried this and after a few tries with my controller, it worked. However, it would randomly disconnect and the controller would refuse to connect sometimes so I tried deleting and reinstalling it, mainly because I was having doubts if I had installed "Xbox 360 wireless receiver for Windows" and not accidentally "Xbox 360 wireless controller for Windows." I redid the whole process, and now I cant get it to work at all. My controller's lights don't flash when I hold the button to connect it and I am confident it is not a battery problem/