Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 18, 2017, 08:29 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Mechanical keyboard options?

I'm looking at getting a mechanical keyboard, but my problem is, I'm picky as all hell.

I don't care to buy some ungodly gaming keyboard with a million extra keys that I'll never use and just lose desk space too. Just a simple minimal layout, I don't even care to have an Fn key for multimedia functions, I wouldn't use that either.

I'm thinking cherry MX brown switches might be the most ideal for me, nice feel like the red, but less noise.

Blue LED backlighting would be preferred sitting next to my Logitech G402

Right now, the option I like most is the Steelseries Apex M500, simple, blue led backlight, but has red switches which may drive the wife crazy. So unless I could find a full kit of brown switches to swap for real cheap, I'm not sure about this one

I looked at the Logitech G610 orion brown, but the white backlight next to my blue backlight on my mouse would bother me, it really would, but otherwise fits the criteria. The next option is to step up to the G810 but that comes at a price but allows full control over key backlight color so....

There's also the Das Keyboard Prime 13, the white backlight has a slight blue tint it seems, but otherwise minimalistic mechanical keyboard with cherry mx brown switches that fits what I want pretty close.

Any feedback, recommendations, other options I've overlooked that anyone can suggest?
Old February 18, 2017, 09:09 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I have a corsair with mx brown. Have been using it for a couple years now and it's been fantastic. If you can find one of theirs on sale it's a good route.
Old February 18, 2017, 09:28 AM
MVP

My System Specs

oh, the K70 Lux RGB looks nice. I didn't notice corsair had options other than red backlighting.
Old February 18, 2017, 09:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am loving my G610 with reds, I tend to not bottom out long travel keys so it isnt tooo noisy but browns would be quieter for sure. Other than the white LEDs it is a pretty minamal KB, no fancy extra buttons/flash. The white leds are nice IMO, much better coloring than with a RBG KB, more whiteer white...... if that makes sense. And they can be shutoff or dimmed if thats not your cup of tea.

One of the nice features of the Logi KB's is ARX, while limited in game support ( customgame profiles are lacking )the CPU/GPU/Ram realtime monitoring is handy as **** for temps ect. ACX streams to your phone or tablet over your local network.
The one real grip with the G610 is at cold boot the lighting defaults to a lightwave. KB leds light from left to right in a wave. Holding the dim button and "0" sets it to steady until a coldboot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old February 18, 2017, 10:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Any MX based switch that isn't dampened will sound fairly loud if you bottom out the keys.

If you like reds, get an mx pink/mx silent board. They are dampened reds. I have been using a mx pink Filco MJ2S for a few months to see how they fare compared to reds - specifically my old Filco Linear LE board I used for ~5 years. I may end up bringing it to work since it's quiet enough for those purposes.

Old February 18, 2017, 10:16 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Well I just ordered a K70 Lux RGB with brown switches from newegg. It's 30$ off right now so it'll do. I am tempted to try the logitech G810 now too though, so an impulse may kick in to buy it too. Can never have too many keyboards right....