Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 25, 2013, 06:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default printer

I am looking for a printer that will accept refills rather than the print cartridges that have the chip. I could literally buy a new printer that has ink cheaper than buying the ink over and over again.

I'm pretty sure if i search hard enough I could find the ink and toner too for a fraction of the cost of buying new ink constantly. Frankly it's a worse rip off than cell phone plans.

I don't care if its laser or inkjet
It would be nice if it would print regardless of how full one or the other cartridge is.

cheers
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old November 25, 2013, 06:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
I am looking for a printer that will accept refills rather than the print cartridges that have the chip. I could literally buy a new printer that has ink cheaper than buying the ink over and over again.

I'm pretty sure if i search hard enough I could find the ink and toner too for a fraction of the cost of buying new ink constantly. Frankly it's a worse rip off than cell phone plans.

I don't care if its laser or inkjet
It would be nice if it would print regardless of how full one or the other cartridge is.

cheers
Save up some coin and look into buying a $2-300 color laster printer and you'll be much happier in the long run. Laser printers last longer and you don't have to worry about ink drying or heads getting destroyed from lack of use.

You'll also get much better prints.

Look at the Brother series.
Old November 25, 2013, 06:59 PM
Allstar

If all you need is mono and looking for cheap get a Samsung laser, if you catch a sale they are $45 with a demo cartridge that will last you close to 1000 pages or about 4.5c a page. If you want cheaper per print but are willing to pay wait until boxing day or around there and get a HP 3xxx series printer for a couple hundred that will bump you down to the range of 2-2.5c a page but you need volume to justify the cost, the laser cartridges on the 3xxx are good for about 7K pages.

As for color its tricky, the cheap color lasers run a carrousel system that sucks and if you add up costs its around 15-20c a page on those cheap systems... depending on what you want/need outsourcing color laser can be cheaper and you will get a better print resolution.

Basically what is your needs, color, mono, estimated monthly/yearly page count.