Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 11, 2013, 12:35 PM
MVP

Default Question about remote controls on PCs

Hello, I currently use my PC as a Blu-Ray player and I would like to get a remote control for it. I searched the internet and see that there are remotes you can buy that come with an IR sensor that connects through USB. I have a shaw remote that I like, which can accept different codes to communicate with all kinds of devices. Are there any stand alone IR sensors I could buy that would work with my Shaw remote? Or could I buy a remote package, chuck the remote and use my Shaw remote with it?

Also, I am using PowerDVD. I assume any remote would work with any program right?

Thanks for your help.
Old August 11, 2013, 04:05 PM
Allstar

In my limited experience, those kind of remote never worked well because you have to program the crap out of them. I end up with a Lenovo HTPC wireless keyboard which works pretty well.

Amazon.com : Lenovo Multimedia Remote with Keyboard N5901 : Keyboard Mouse Sets : Electronics
Old August 11, 2013, 04:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
In my limited experience, those kind of remote never worked well because you have to program the crap out of them. I end up with a Lenovo HTPC wireless keyboard which works pretty well.

Amazon.com : Lenovo Multimedia Remote with Keyboard N5901 : Keyboard Mouse Sets : Electronics
I have one of these and while its good it can be frustrating to use.
Old August 12, 2013, 04:54 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post

I know that I have my CD player, TV and cable box all set to the Shaw remote. It is just a matter of figuring out what the code is, punching it in, and choosing a free button like "aux" or something. Are there no IR usb sensors with a code I can use?

I checked the Lenovo product, that's not really what I want. I only want one remote so I don't have to go fishing around for different remotes. All I need it to do is pause, play, volume, fast forward, basic stuff.
Old August 12, 2013, 05:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I think what you want is any "Windows Media Center compatible" remote. For example: Newegg.ca - Rosewill RHRC-12001 Windows 7 Certified MCE/ Windows 8 MCE Infrared Remote Control with Netflix Function

You don't need to use that remote, assuming your Shaw remote has codes that match up with the IR receiver. Again, all MCE (Media Center Edition) codes/devices should be the same. My Harmony remotes works fine.
Old August 13, 2013, 09:26 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Have you looked into using your smartphone as a Bluetooth remote control for your computer?
If you have a USB Bluetooth receiver, then you should try an app like "Bluetooth Remote PC".

When you use Bluetooth, you are much less prone to 'line of sight' problems that IR receivers will plague you with.