Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 1, 2013, 05:36 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default MX Brown vs Black

I'm thinking of getting a mechanical keyboard. My current keyboard is starting to feel the strain of being dropped off the couch many, many times.

After reading about the various MX switch types I'm leaning towards the MX Brown or Blacks I think. I don't really want an audible click, as even with my rubber dome keyboards, I'm fairly silent when typing.

Right now I'm mostly gaming on the pc (and back at the desk, so wires aren't a problem) but I do a fair bit of typing still, and I'm not too concerned with having 'gaming grade' gear. I'm wondering what people's feelings are towards the MX Browns vs Blacks. I'll hopefully find one of each to try out in store, but would like some opinions (most of the threads seem to be Blacks vs Reds)
Old August 1, 2013, 07:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you're decision is strictly between those two, I'd suggest browns. They're probably the most 'balanced' switch of the group IMO. (balanced between feedback, rigidity and masked volume)

The downtown Vancouver NCIX actually has a pretty cool display that has a group of six or so of each type of switch set up on a panel that allows you to play around with them and feel the difference between the switches for yourself. It might be worth calling around Edmonton to see if any of the shops in your area has something similar. Or maybe just see if anyone has a couple keyboards of brown and black on demo. Nothing helps make the right decision like personal testing.
Old August 1, 2013, 08:59 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
If you're decision is strictly between those two, I'd suggest browns. They're probably the most 'balanced' switch of the group IMO. (balanced between feedback, rigidity and masked volume)

The downtown Vancouver NCIX actually has a pretty cool display that has a group of six or so of each type of switch set up on a panel that allows you to play around with them and feel the difference between the switches for yourself. It might be worth calling around Edmonton to see if any of the shops in your area has something similar. Or maybe just see if anyone has a couple keyboards of brown and black on demo. Nothing helps make the right decision like personal testing.
Thanks, that's kind of how I suspected the view on browns between the two. I thought about blues as well, but I don't think I wanted an audible click.

Unfortunately to the best of my knowledge no one in Edmonton has a a keyboard demo. Memex is the closest we have and everything's boxed
Old August 1, 2013, 03:44 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

If you don't need the click and don't care about gaming grade keyboards, and don't need n key rollover, just get a dome keyboard and save a few bucks.

Contrary to popular belief, there are many great dome keyboards on the market.

The tactile feedback doesn't matter one lick until you start breaking the sound barrier with your typing.

Personally I love the click of the keys, and I can code way faster on my black widow ultimate than my dome keyboard, but i'm typing way too fast.
Old August 1, 2013, 03:58 PM
MVP

the best place to research keyboards, by far, is geekhack.org.

brown switches are tactile, so you'll have an opportunity to feel the actuation before bottoming out, and thus brown switches are better for typing than black. even without 'clicky' switches, most cherry mx boards are loud if you bottom out every keystroke.

as far as linear switches go, I prefer red over black because they require less force. black switches are not typically recommended for people who have to type a lot.
Old August 1, 2013, 04:48 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I'm reading that more people seem to like the reds. I think I'll hit the Northeast Memex and see if they'll let me take a look at a Quickfire Pro that has browns, or a Corsair K70 with the reads.

The gigabyte osmium looks pretty decent too, but that blue backlighting :S
Old August 1, 2013, 04:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm personally a fan of the reds. But they're not a good choice if you want a 'quieter' experience. They're quite loud when typing.
Old August 1, 2013, 04:58 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
I'm personally a fan of the reds. But they're not a good choice if you want a 'quieter' experience. They're quite loud when typing.
I think that's why I'm going to try them out in store a bit. I'm getting widly different opinions on the noise of the K70 reds. I don't reallly bottom out on my rubber dome keyboard that much, so I'm thinking if I don't bottom out on the cherry switches noise may not be a huge issue. A bit of noise is not the end of the world. I just don't want something that sounds like a 1940s typewriter (unless it had the 'ding' sound when you hit enter. Which would be hilarious).
Old August 1, 2013, 05:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, you're going to get different opinions based on who's using the switches and how they type. Personally I'm a fairly heavy typer, so all mechanical switches in my house hit their max volume.
Old August 1, 2013, 08:46 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I picked up a Corsair K70 in the end. I'm just trying it out now. It's certainly different than a conventional keyboard. I was a bit torn between it and the quickfire with the browns, but I think I made the right choice. It's not really too bad for noise. Only the spacebar seems to have a decently loud click. The rest of the keys I don't even fully depress to type and they're working great like that. I'm sure when I'm a bit more familiar with it I'll be near silent. I genuinely do like the feel of it already though. After using it for a week, I may go snoop at at brown to compare again after I've used them for a bit.

Thanks for the input gents. Maybe I'll do a mini-member review for the forum :D