Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 23, 2013, 01:58 PM
Rookie

Default Some inquiries on mice with extra buttons

The G500 has 3 side buttons, and I just noticed that so far, the games I play can only map 2 of them as is, usually indicating them as Mouse4 and 5. I'm pretty sure I can use the 3rd button with some help from Setpoint, but that's not what I wanna ask here. I'm just curious about how extra buttons in modern mice work in general, especially with other models out there having a dozen of these things. I read somewhere that sometimes they're just set to mirror buttons that are already on the keyboard (or a sequence of them, if they're set as macros). Does this mean most of them are not capable of being buttons in their own right (I highly doubt it)? Or is it just a matter of some games not being equipped to handle all those buttons (if indeed, there are games out there that can listen to them as Mouse6, MouseN or whatever)?
Old June 23, 2013, 02:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgery View Post
Or is it just a matter of some games not being equipped to handle all those buttons (if indeed, there are games out there that can listen to them as Mouse6, MouseN or whatever)?
This - if you look at insane side button mice like the Naga, they have an option to default your side buttons to your act as your numberpad.
Old June 23, 2013, 03:58 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Even if the game doesn't accept Mouse4 + you can bind an action to an unused key like "[" or something, then in the Logitech software set that button to "[".
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Old June 24, 2013, 08:02 AM
Rookie

So does this mean something like World of Warcraft would be able to bind to these keys out of the box?

I don't understand how some games are not compatible with the buttons. Don't they just consult the OS like hey, how many buttons can I bind for whatever? I mean, if they do, they should be able to bind to less conventional keys like foot pedals on gaming wheels. I'm not really a person who knows anything about making games, though, so I'm definitely missing out on a big chunk of details.
Old June 24, 2013, 10:24 AM
MVP

My System Specs

In Setpoint.
Bind your buttons to keystrokes. Find keys you aren't using.

In your game.
Bind your actions to the keystroke you set in Setpoint. In some games, mouse clicks bound the keystrokes are not recognized when you are binding. Therefore, you use your keyboard to bind the key, but you still use the mouse button in-game.

Your G500 also has tilt scroll wheel. Tilt left can be assigned a bind, so does tilt right.

Last edited by blaze_125; June 24, 2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old June 24, 2013, 11:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

it is best to use the games configure either in game of the actual config file but like the above says you can do it that way also buy binding keystrokes or sometimes even multiple keystrokes . if you go to the
gigabyte website forums some people have made files and or instructions for some game out there to use all of the mouse buttons.
I actually think that there are also Wow websites that have configs you can use that do the same thing. it has been so long since I played WOW but I seem to remember that there is a software program tha tyou can install and it can download and install different applications tool bars key and mouse binds but like I said it has been a while so I don't remember the name of the site
Old June 24, 2013, 12:53 PM
Rookie

I guess I should've chosen better wording for my question. I know I can bind the extra buttons to keys or macros in Setpoint if I needed to. I just mentioned that because it's how I got curious about mice with even more buttons.

It's true that the buttons get mapped to keyboard strokes, but that brings me to what I really wanted to ask: Why is this necessary? The whole concept is cool and all, and it has its uses, but the current impression I'm getting is that it's all a huge workaround.

Quote:
This - if you look at insane side button mice like the Naga, they have an option to default your side buttons to your act as your numberpad.
ilya agrees that it's because some games do not natively handle all the buttons. Does this mean that there are games out there that can handle them natively? I only cited WoW as an example because I assumed it's popular enough to expect that some of its users would be using MMO-oriented mice.

This also makes me wanna know how it is possible that there are games out there that cannot handle some of the extra buttons (what I said in my previous post about the whole OS thing).

Ultimately, I wanna know if they are actually buttons in their own right. Not proxy for keys on the keyboard, but rather as their own 'Mouse6', 'MouseN' or whatever. Like, if there was an absurd game that used everything on the keyboard, and it somehow still had more things to bind, you still have these fancy little things you paid a premium for on your mouse to rely on.

Again, sorry if I confused anyone. I'm not a native English speaker.
Old June 24, 2013, 01:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The main point of them isn't really to give you MORE buttons, it's to give you more buttons with easy access..

It's not just limited to games. I used to have a profile for Photoshop etc where I had shortcuts bound to mice buttons... just means you have less hand-travel.

As I said, it means you don't have to move your hand to get the "extra" buttons.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"